|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Christopher M. Amidon, (906) 482-0984
Houghton, MI – Isle Royale National Park (NP) is now accepting applications for the summer 2017 Isle Royale Teen Artist Exploration. The artistic discovery is geared to all aspiring teen artists who want to develop their art through experiencing wilderness, and is open to all visual and performing artists, writers, and composers ages 13 to 18 at time of participation.
Elisha Houle, the 2016 teen artist said of her time on Isle Royale: "Isle Royale and the Teen Artist-In-Residence Program has opened my life to so many amazing things. My art has taken on a new dynamic; I appreciate so much more the wild and natural ways of life the Island showed me.
Over the course of 1 to 2 weeks between June and August, the selected teen artist can explore the island as he or she would like--hike and backpack along wave-washed shores, canoe quiet bays of Lake Superior, or take boat tours. An artistic mentor will provide coaching during the artistic and wilderness exploration. Let the solitude and serenity of the island inspire your creativity.
The selected artist will be a park volunteer and be required to donate a piece of artwork representative of their stay on Isle Royale to the park. If seventeen or younger, a legal guardian must accompany the teen artist.
Isle Royale NP, Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Association, and the Copper Country Community Arts Council sponsor the program. Information about island accommodations, transportation, teen artist selection, and more can be found on our teen artist website or call (906) 482-0984.
How To Apply
All artist’s work must be original. The park considers all forms of art except those that manipulate or disturb the park's environment. In your application package, please include the following:
- If seventeen or younger, discuss the Isle Royale Teen Artist Exploration with a parent or guardian. Once you have permission to apply, have him or her sign the line below where it says “Parent or Guardian Signature.” Submit this page with your application.
Parent or Guardian Signature: ______________________________
- Your contact information (phone, address, email)
- Your age
- The type of art you create
- Mail: ATTN: Isle Royale Teen Artist, Isle Royale National Park, 800 E. Lakeshore Dr. Houghton, MI 49931
- Email: email@example.com
- Drop off: At the Isle Royale Houghton Visitor Center (address same as mailing address above). Open Monday-Friday, 8:15 am to 4 pm EST.
About the National Park Service. More than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for the 417 parks in the National Park System and work with communities across the nation to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities. Visit us at www.nps.gov, on Facebook www.facebook.com/nati