|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Larry Turk, 845-229-9115 Ext 2033
There's so much to see and do in Hyde Park, NY that the National Park Service, Metro-North Railroad, Amtak and Dutchess County Transit have made it easy for you to spend a day visiting the Roosevelt-Vanderbilt National Historic Sites and FDR’s Presidential Library and Museum. Leave the car at home and get comfortable with history as you begin with a scenic train ride up the Hudson River. To use Amtrak you will leave out of Penn Station. Leaving out of Grand Central Station you will use the Metro-North's Hudson Line. Either way, you’ll depart at the Poughkeepsie train station. From the Poughkeepsie train station, Dutchess County Transit operates an hourly bus service, Monday through Saturday (excluding Sundays, and holidays). The National Park Service operates a free "Roosevelt Ride" shuttle service on Sundays and holidays, May through October. Both services will bring you to the Henry A. Wallace Visitor Center at the Home of FDR site where you can then chose which of the of the Roosevelt Sites to visit including the Vanderbilt Mansion.
Dutchess County Transit Schedule from the Poughkeepsie train station, Monday - Saturday (Sundays and holidays excluded) - Cost: $1.75
- Departs hourly from Poughkeepsie station at 6 minutes after the hour from 8:06 AM to 7:06 PM.
- Arrives hourly at the Wallace Visitor Center located at the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site at 39 minutes after the hour from 8:39 AM to 6:39 PM.
- Departs from the Wallace Visitor Center at 40 minutes after the hour starting at 8:40 AM to 6:40 PM
- Arrives at the Poughkeepsie train station at 6 minutes after the hour starting at 9:06 AM.
National Park Service’s Roosevelt Ride Shuttle from the Poughkeepsie train station - On Sundays and holidays, May through October - Cost: Free
- Take the 8:36 AM* Metro-North Hudson Line train which will arrive at the Poughkeepsie train station at 10:44 AM (*Schedules are subject to change*)
- Board the Roosevelt Ride Shuttle Bus for the 10-minute ride to the Wallace Visitor Center located at the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site.
- Depart the Wallace Visitor Center at 5:00 PM to arrive 5:20 PM at the Poughkeepsie train station for the next available train back to Grand Central Terminal.
The Roosevelt Ride Shuttle Bus Schedule is available here. https://www.nps.gov/hofr/planyourvisit/experience-the-roosevelt-ride.htm
No matter how you arrive at the Home of FDR, the National Park Service’s Roosevelt Ride can shuttle you to and from any of these sites:
- Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site. Tour the magnificent estate of Frederick and Louise Vanderbilt. Explore the social and economic history of the Gilded Age while touring an American Country Place with exquisite landscaped grounds and stunning Hudson River vistas.
- Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site (Val-Kill). Get to know one of the 20th Century's most admired women, the "First Lady of the World" in her home and private retreat. While at Val-Kill you can shop at the Val-Kill Fair Trade Store.
- Top Cottage. FDR's retreat house, designed by FDR to, "Escape the mob."