Enjoy the "Roosevelt Ride"
Free Shuttle Service
The Easy Way to See Historic Hyde Park, NY
May 1, 2017 through October 31, 2017 2017 Schedule
There's so much to see and do in Hyde Park, NY, and the National Park Service and Metro-North Railroad make it easy for you. Spend the day at the Roosevelt-Vanderbilt National Historic Sites. The National Park Service operates the free "Roosevelt Ride" shuttle service from Poughkeepsie Metro-North Station 7 days a week and will take you to your choice of the Roosevelt Sites and the Vanderbilt Mansion from May through October. Leave the car at home and get comfortable with history. Your day begins with a scenic trip up the Hudson River on Metro-North's Hudson Line to Poughkeepsie Station - one of the world's most beautiful train journeys!
Ø Catch any Metro-North Hudson Line train that will get you to Poughkeepsie at 10:36 am (weekdays) or 10:44 (weekends).*Schedules are subject to change*
Ø At Poughkeepsie, come up the stairs or take the elevator to the tickets hall.
Ø Look for a uniformed National Park Service Ranger or Volunteer. Please introduce yourself to prevent us from missing you!
Ø Board the Roosevelt Ride Shuttle Bus for the 10-minute trip to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Home and the FDR Presidential Library and Museum.
Ø Purchase your tickets at the Henry A. Wallace Center and enjoy the "Rendezvous with History" orientation film.
Ø You can devote several hours making fascinating discoveries about our 32nd President, touring his Home and his Presidential Library and Museum.
Ø Shop for books and memorable gifts at the New Deal Store.
Ø Enjoy a delicious casual lunch with beautiful views at Uncle Sam's Canteen.
From the FDR Home and Library You May Wish to:
1) Take the shuttle to Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site. Tour the magnificent estate of Frederick and Louise Vanderbilt. Explore the social and economic history of the Gilded Age while touring an American Country Place with exquisite landscaped grounds and stunning Hudson River vistas.
2) Take the shuttle to the Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site (Val-Kill). Get to know one of the 20th Century's most admired women, the "First Lady of the World" in her home and private retreat. While at Val-Kill you can shop at the Val-Kill Fair Trade Store.
3) Take the shuttle to Top Cottage, FDR's retreat house, designed by FDR to, "Escape the mob."
- FDR Home, Lunch, FDR Library/Museum and Val-Kill
- FDR Home, Lunch, Vanderbilt Mansion and FDR Library/Museum
- FDR Home, Lunch, FDR Library/Museum and Top Cottage
- Bring Your Own Lunch (Allows you to see FDR Home, FDR Library/Museum, Val-Kill and Top Cottage) but not enough time for a leisurely lunch.
Final Departure to the Poughkeepsie Station:Whatever your choose, our shuttle bus will pick you up at the Wallace Center located at the FDR site for a 5:00 pm departure back to the Poughkeepsie Train Station to take the next available train back to Grand Central Terminal.
Reservations Are Required for the Roosevelt Ride:
For reservations and information, please call The National Park Service at 845-229-5320. The shuttle buses and tours are all wheelchair accessible.
Price: Admission to the Historic Sites: Adults, $28 (plus applicable rail fare); children under 15, FREE (plus applicable rail fare). Tickets DO NOT INCLUDE rail fare or lunch at Uncle Sam's Canteen. The Roosevelt Ride Shuttle Bus itself is free.
Please note: Metro-North DOES NOT sell this package. Metro-North Train Schedules:
or call: 212-532-4900
From other areas call: 800-METRO-INFO (800-638-7646)