The Dairy was built over a natural spring between 1780 and 1800, and altered between 1830 and 1840. The Dairy was designed to store milk and process butter. The milk was cooled by placing stoneware milk pails in a basin filled with cool spring water. Water circulated under the gothic stone arch at the head of the spring, into the structure via directed channels, then out into a small creek on the north side of the structure. The Dairy was built into a hill to maintain the cooler temperatures inside the structure. Dairy storage and production was one of many sources of income for the Ridgely family, and the structure remained in use until the 1940s.
Last updated: November 7, 2023