|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Public Affairs Office, 307.739.3393
MOOSE, WY — Grand Teton National Park is conducting an aerial and ground search for missing person Rene Dreiling this morning, September 3, 2016. Approximately 55 searchers joined the Teton Interagency Contract Helicopter in the search for Mr. Dreiling in the Cascade Canyon, Hanging Canyon, and Table Mountain areas. This morning, search teams received a tip from a hiker who saw Dreiling around noon on Wednesday on the trail along the northwest shore of Jenny Lake. Rangers are requesting that anyonewho hiked or climbed in the Cascade Canyon, Hanging Canyon, or Table Mountain areas on Wednesday, August 31 or Thursday, September 1 call the tip line at 307-739-3476. Hikers should call the tip line even if they did not see Dreiling.
Dreiling is a 21 year old Grand Teton Lodge Company employee in his second summer season. He was reported missing on Friday, September 2 after he did not show up for a scheduled shift at Colter Bay Village. The investigation initially revealed that Dreiling had likely departed for his trip from the Jenny Lake Lodge at about 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, August 31. Investigations conducted by rangers led to the updated point last seen along the northwest shore of Jenny Lake. The witness who saw Dreiling described him as moving very fast and wearing no shirt with an orange and gray backpack. He was hiking solo and was in good spirits. He may have been wearing a headband.
(September 2, 2016 7:00 p.m.)
Grand Teton National Park requests the public's assistance in locating Rene Dreiling. A missing person flyer which includes a photo and physical description is attached.
Here is what we know at this time:
- Dreiling is a 21 year old male who works for Grand Teton Lodge Company. This is his second summer season hiking and climbing in the Teton Range.
- Dreiling was last seen at the Jenny Lake Lodge at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, August 31.
- Dreiling planned to hike or climb in the Teton Range, though his exact plans are unclear. He may have attempted to ascend Table Mountain from Cascade Canyon. Various alternate objectives include Hanging Canyon, the Jaw, Mount St. John, or some other location in the range. Dreiling is known to be spontaneous in the mountains and change plans frequently.
- Dreiling did not show up for a scheduled shift at Colter Bay Village this morning.
- Rangers are conducting an aerial search this evening and are conducting an investigation to refine the search area. Additional aerial and ground search efforts will take place tomorrow if Dreiling is not found tonight.
- As his plans were unclear, anyone who has been traveling in the Teton backcountry since Wednesday may have seen Dreiling. Anyone with information regarding his whereabouts should call Teton Interagency Dispatch Center at 307-739-3301.