- Install the free Avenza Maps application on your mobile device
- There is no need or requirement to purchase a registration for the application with the free park topographic maps
- Copy or email this link to your mobile device and open it in a browser: https://www.avenzamaps.com/
maps/555413/nps-great-smoky- mountains-national-park-2017- topographic-map-bundle/
- Scroll to the bottom and select "Get this map". You must do this while on your mobile device for the next step to work
- Avenza Maps (if installed) will open on your mobile device
- Click "Free"
- Click "Install this map"
- Click "Ok"
- Wait several minutes then go to “Maps” in the Avenza PDF Map application on your device
- You should see each individual map downloading. The download is very very large (approximately 500 mb) and some downloads likely will fail. Just hit "Resume"
- You should see a folder “NPS 2017”. Click “Edit” in the upper right
- Select the info icon to the right of the NPS 2017 folder
- Set “Collection” to “on”. This will allow all 29 topo maps to merge seamlessly on your device
Mobile Topographic Maps
Many areas of the park do not have cellular service, but that doesn't mean you can use your mobile electronic device to map your adventure! The park has made available for free the full set of incredibly detailed 2017 topgraphic maps for use with the free Avenza Maps mobile application. These maps include trails, back country camp sites, grid tic marks, and contour lines. In addition, the application allows users to record and share waypoints, tracklogs, and geo-enabled photographs. Here's how to get the topographic maps on your mobile device:
Last updated: January 25, 2018