The Appalachian Highlands Science Learning Center

People looking at flowers in a field with mountains behind.
 
Group of people standing on grass with mountains behind them.

Photo by Don McGowan

The Appalachian Highland Science Learning Center is based on 535 acres in Haywood County, North Carolina, known as "The Purchase", and contiguous with the rest of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The parcel includes the 5,086 foot elevation Purchase Knob, a historic cabin, and two buildings which contain offices, laboratory space, a 50-person classroom, and housing for up to eight visiting scientists.

 
Building on hillside.
The buildings and land were donated in 2000 by Kathryn McNeil and Voit Gilmore, who had owned the property since 1964, and had built a summer home upon it. This represents the largest donation of land since GSMNP came into existence. Since then, the park has averaged about 5,000 visiting scientists, students and teachers each year. Everyday, the staff and program participants thank the family for their generous gift.
In 2001, The Purchase became the home of one of five initial Learning Centers created by Congress to support research in the National Parks and to transmit the information generated to the public. At present, there are 17 learning centers nationwide.

Last updated: June 30, 2021

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

107 Park Headquarters Road
Gatlinburg, TN 37738

Phone:

(865) 436-1200

Contact Us