This program is a great way to enjoy the park trails while at the same time helping to keep them open, safe and in good condition!
Interested in becoming an Adopt a Trail Volunteer? Here is what you should know:
- Adopt a Trail volunteer duties include: reporting on overall trail condition, hazards, wildlife issues, signage issues, and blow downs; assisting visitors with park and Leave No Trace information.
- Trail Trekkers are expected to hike adopted trail(s) at least 5 times a year and submit a report after each trip.
- To participate in the program, volunteers must complete a VIP application and will receive a packet of information about the program, including the trails open for adoption.
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park provides volunteers with training in Leave No Trace, and when applicable trail maintenance and tool safety.
- Volunteers must be 18 years old or work with a consenting adult at all times.
To volunteer for the Adopt a Trail program download a VIP Application and return completed VIP applications to the park's Volunteer Coordinator at 107 Park Headquarters Drive, Gatlinburg, TN 37738.