Piñon Flats is a National Park Service campground located one mile north of the Visitor Center, open April through October. View other area campgrounds.
- Loop 1: 44 first-come, first-served sites
- Loop 2: 44 reservable sites. Reserve through recreation.gov up to 6 months in advance, but at least 4 days in advance, for summer season dates May 4 through September 18, 2016. Loop 2 is first-come, first-served April 1 - May 3 and September 19 - October 30, 2016.
- Loop 3: 3 Group Sites (A, B, and C). Reserve on recreation.gov for summer season dates April through October.
- Restrooms with sinks, flush toilets, and a sink for dishwashing
- Fire grate(s) and picnic table(s) at each site
- Some sites have large cottonwood or conifer trees for shade, while others are more out in the open with smaller piñon trees
- A few sites can fit RVs up to 35 feet in length
- No hookups
- Individual campsites have a maximum capacity of 8 people, 3 tents, and 2 vehicles (including towedvehicles/trailers). All tents must fit on the tent pad, and all vehicles must fit in the site's driveway. Please be aware that each site is unique and may not accommodate 3 tents or 2 vehicles.
- When Medano Creek is flowing in early summer, expect Loop 2 sites to be booked and Loop 1 sites to be full by late morning every day of the week. On late May and early June weekends during peak flow, expect lines of traffic, overflowing parking lots, and all campgrounds within 30 miles to be full. For a better experience in early summer, plan your visit on weekdays.
- A 50% discount applies to senior pass and access pass holders.
Map of Campground (.pdf file, 283kb)
Reserve Campsites at Piñon Flats through the National Recreation Reservation
System or contact them by phone at 1(877) 444-6777.
For reservations or questions about your reservation, please contact the National Reservation System. For specific questions about the campground, please call the Great Sand Dunes Visitor Center at 719-378-6395, or send an email.