Piñon Flats is a National Park Service campground located one mile north of the Visitor Center. It is open April 3 through October 31 each year.
Individual Campsites (up to 8 people)
- Reserve individual campsites up to 6 months in advance for peak season dates (May through September) through the Recreation One-Stop system online or contact them by phone at 1(877) 444-6777. Any sites not reserved become available as first-come, first-served. If you have not reserved a site at least four days in advance, speak with a campground host in either loop to see if any sites are available for first-come, first-served. Great Sand Dunes staff cannot make reservations, and cannot hold sites that are not reserved.
- 88 sites, tents or RVs up to 35 feet
8 people, 2 tents, 2 vehicles maximum per site (not all sites fit 2 tents or 2 vehicles)
Check-out time is 1:00 pm
Group Campsites (25-100 people)
- Reserve larger group sites up to one year in advance for any dates April 3 - October 31. through the Recreation One-Stop system online or contact them by phone at 1(877) 444-6777. Sites A and B are $80 per night, Site C is $65 per night.
- 3 group sites, tents only
- Click on each group site for a photo:
Group Site A (20-40 people, $80 per night)
Group Site B (20-40 people, $80 per night)
Group Site C (15-30 people, $65 per night)
- Must be reserved at least four days in advance.
- Sites A and B fit 10 vehicles each; Site C fits 7 vehicles.
- RVs, pop-ups, and trailers do not fit and are not permitted in the group tent camping sites.
- Check-out time is 1:00 pm
Description and Amenities
Restrooms with sinks, flush toilets, dishwashing sink, and water spigots are available in all three loops. There is a fire grate and picnic table at each individual site, with multiple grates and tables at group sites. Some sites have large cottonwood or conifer trees for shade, while others are more out in the open with smaller piñon trees. A few sites have driveways that can fit RVs up to 35 feet in length, but there are no hookups; view area campgrounds for nearby options with hookups.
Individual campsites have a maximum capacity of 8 people, 2 tents, and 2 vehicles (including towed vehicles/trailers). All tents must fit on the tent pad, and all vehicles must fit in the site's driveway. Please be aware that each site is unique and may not accommodate 2 tents of any size or 2 vehicles. A few sites may fit up to three small tents.
When Medano Creek is flowing well in late May and early June, expect all campsites to be reserved. On late May and early June weekends during peak flow, expect long lines of traffic, overflowing parking lots, and most campgrounds within 20 miles to be full. For a better experience in early summer, plan your visit on weekdays.
Map of Campground (.pdf file, 1MB)
For reservations or questions about your reservation, please contact the Recreation One-Stop system. For specific questions about the campground, please call the Great Sand Dunes Visitor Center at 719-378-6395, or send an email.