Thank you for your interest in having your event in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Information on this page is for land administered by the National Park Service including Muir Woods National Monument, Fort Point National Historic Site, Alcatraz Island, Crissy Field, the Marin Headlands, Ocean Beach, as well as other sites. For permit information with the following jurisdictions please contact: Presidio Trust, Mt. Tamalpais, Angel Island, San Mateo County Parks, San Francisco Recreation and Parks (for Marina Green and Golden Gate Park, etc.), Fort Mason Center and other surrounding parks.
As a unit of the National Park Service, the Golden Gate National Recreation Area must balance preserving the resources with allowing for a variety of visitor uses. While several types of activities such as weddings, picnics, marathons and filming are allowed in the park, many uses are prohibited.
When your application is under review, the Office of Special Park Uses will look at multiple criteria, including whether or not there is a meaningful association between the park and the event, and how the event contributes to visitor understanding of the significance of the park.
Commercial Dog Walking
- Commercial Dog Walking Permit Application
- Commercial Dog Walking Special Use Permits are required for any professional walking 4 to 6 dogs on GGNRA lands in San Francisco and Marin counties.
- Click to view sample Commercial Dog Walking Special Use Permit
- Click to view 2016 Commercial Dog Walking Special Use Permit Application for Current Permit Holders
- Permit Specialist: Katie Beltrano (information below)
- Event Permit Application
- All large events require a certificate of liability insurance. (information below)
- Athletic events with fewer than 30 people may not require a permit. Please confirm with Permit Specialist.
- Alcatraz Event
- No private events/tours are allowed during daytime hours or during evenings with scheduled public tours. (Aim to schedule for Tuesday or Wednesday night)
- No weddings are permitted on Alcatraz.
- Private events on Alcatraz must be conducted in historically appropriate areas.
- Ash Scattering
- Outdoor Ceremonies
- Picnics with fewer than 50 people may not require a permit.
- Any picnic with catering, or significant equipment will require a permit, regardless of size.
- Almost all picnic tables in the park are first come, first served and cannot be reserved.
Permit Specialist for small picnics: Katie Beltrano (information below)
- Permit Specialist for small events: George Durgerian (information below)
Permit Specialist for large events: Sintia Morfin (information below)
- Beach Fire Permit Application
- Burning debris, including Christmas trees, anywhere in the GGNRA is not permitted.
- Only untreated wood may be burned.
- Beach fires are allowed only within fire rings at Ocean Beach and Muir Beach.
- Beach fire rings are first come, first served and cannot be reserved.
- Fires are not permitted when a Spare the Air day/night has been issued.
- Beach fires with fewer than 25 people do not require a permit.
- Beach fires with or without a permit are prohibited at Ocean Beach from November 1st to March 1st.
- Permit Specialist: George Durgerian (information below)
Filming and Photography
- Individuals taking still photos in public areas without props, sets, or models do not require a permit.
- Permit Specialist: Melinda Moses (information below)
- Small Filming and Photography Permit Application. This will apply to most requests.
- Large Filming and Photography Permit Application
- Please use the "Large Film Permit Application" ONLY if:
- You are applying to film multiple days
- Have 50 + cast and crew, will need to build sets, use pyro-technics/special effects, requesting extended closures, etc.
- All other filming must utilize the "Film and Photography Permit Application" above.
Temporary Food Event (TFE)
- Temporary Food Event Permits (TFE) Application
- Temporary food events that are open to the public and involve 50 or more persons where food is sold or given away require a permit.