|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Amy Vanderbilt, 406-888-5838
Contact: Wade Muehlhof, 406-888-7895
WEST GLACIER, MONT. - Glacier National Park is offering the final of three “Fee Free” weekends this summer as part of a National Park Service (NPS) program to encourage visits to national parks this year. This weekend, August 15 and 16, entrance fees will be waived.
According to Glacier National Park Superintendent Chas Cartwright, “The NPS wants to reinforce that national parks are places for everyone to have fun, reconnect with nature and history, and build a sense of ownership and stewardship toward parks and the environment.” People seem to be responding, as the number of visitors for 2009 at Glacier National Park is up 14.8 percent through July. The fee free weekends are in addition to other fee free days on National Public Lands Day, September 26, and Veterans Day, November 11.
Glacier National Park will offer a separate “Fee Free” day in conjunction with the park’s Centennial Kick-Off Celebration Picnic in the Park on Sunday, August 23 being held at Lake McDonald Lodge and Glacier Park Lodge simultaneously. More information on the picnic is available at: http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/news09-46.htm.
Department of the Interior Secretary Ken Salazar says "During these tough economic times, our national parks provide opportunities for affordable vacations for families. I encourage everyone to visit one of our nation’s crown jewels this summer and especially to take advantage of the three free admission weekends. National parks also serve as powerful economic engines for local communities and we hope that promoting visitation will give a small shot in the arm to businesses in the area.”
Glacier National Park concessioners will offer the following specials and/or discounts on respective “Fee Free” summer weekends; however, these discounts will not apply on other fee free days this season, including August 23, September 26 and November 11:
Glacier Park Boat Company
- One free adult fare with at least one paid fare in each party at Lake McDonald and Rising Sun
Glacier Park, Inc. (GPI)
- GPI will offer special values in gift shops, camp stores and restaurants.
- GPI operated gift shops and camp stores will offer a buy- one-get-one-free promotion on one specific tee-shirt as well as a buy-one-get-one- free promotion on an 8 oz. package of wild huckleberry jellybeans.
- GPI-operated restaurants will offer a buy-one-get-one-free special “Fee Free Weekend Dessert of the Day.”
Swan Mountain Outfitters
- *Family Pack:* 10% off standard rates for children (17 and under) riding with a parent or guardian that pays full rate on any one or two hour ride *
- *Group Pack:* $5 off per rider for groups of 6 or more on any one or two hour ride
- *Montana Resident Package:* $5 off per rider for all Montana residents going on one or two hour ride (proof of residency required)
- Note: Discount programs cannot be combined.
Additional promotional offerings may also be available from park concessioners throughout the summer. Inquiries should be directed to respective concessioner operations.
- NPS -