Permits & Reservations

This page includes information about: Bus and campground reservations | Backpacking and mountaineering permits | Permits for other special activities | Note on entrance fees

Denali charges an entrance fee. In addition, there are sometimes other costs associated with certain types of reservations or permits (although some activities which require a permit, like backpacking, are free).

What Do I Need to Reserve in Denali?

Advance reservations are recommended for just two specific activities:

  • Riding a bus
  • Camping

Most other activities in the park either do not require reservations of any kind, or can only be reserved once you are physically here. Bus and campground reservations are explained in more detail, below.


Bus Tickets and Campground Reservations

Advance reservations are recommended for bus trips and campground stays in Denali.

Already know what you need? Make bus and/or campground reservations through our concessionaire's website.

The National Park Service does not handle bus or campground reservations, though we're happy to answer questions about the bus systems or campgrounds.



  • Senior and Access pass holders will receive a discount on nightly campground fees. These passes do not modify bus ticket prices.
  • Most lodging choices (as opposed to campgrounds) are outside of the park. There are no NPS-operated hotels or lodges. We suggest you visit the local Denali Chamber of Commerce's website to research your options.
  • Bus and campground reservations can be made as early as December 1 of the year before you plan to visit (e.g., Dec 1, 2022 for a 2023 visit).


Bus and Campground Details

  • caribou standing on a dirt road, a green bus in the near distance
    Plan Your Visit

    How to Explore Denali

    Look for wildlife and wilderness during a bus trip into Denali. Most of the park's sole road is open only to buses during the summer season.

  • woman putting a rain fly on a tent

    Camping in Denali

    With six campgrounds, Denali is a great place for tent, car or RV campers.

  • two tents looking out at a huge snowy mountain

    How to Backpack in Denali

    In six million acres of wilderness, you'll find campsites from the sublime to the subtle. Learn how to explore the backcountry of Denali.


What Activities Require a Permit?

Permits are not quite the same thing as reservations, although there are similarities. A permit in Denali is for some kind of very specific activity, like mountaineering or backpacking. Getting a permit for a specific activity usually involves talking to a ranger, too, either because the activity is inherently dangerous or because it's really complex and there is information you need from us, and that we need from you, before you visit.

Most Denali visitors do not do these complicated or dangerous activities, and so most park visitors do not need to worry about "permits." Just focus on bus tickets and campgrounds (if you're camping - if you are looking for lodgings, you must look outside the park, as there are no NPS-run accommodations, just campgrounds).

Some permitted activities have a fee involved, while other permits are free. More details are lower on this page, broken out by activity.


Backpacking and Mountaineering Permits

  • Permits are required for backpacking in most of Denali. Permits are free. Learn more about how to obtain a backcountry permit.
  • If you plan to climb Denali or Mt. Foraker, you are required to register and pay for a permit 60 days in advance of your climb. Learn more about mountaineering in Denali.

Permits for Commercial Activities

A business or an individual must obtain either a Concession Contract or a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) prior to conducting any commercial activity in Denali National Park and Preserve.

These contracts and permits are issued and administered by the National Park Service (NPS).


Other Permits or Reservations

  • Filming and Still Photography Permits
    This information is for anyone interested in conducting filming or still photography within the boundaries of the park and preserve.
  • Special Use Permits
    This catch-all category covers permits that may be necessary for a variety of activities, such as weddings/ceremonies, religious gatherings, or first amendment demonstrations.
  • Discovery Hikes
    These ranger-led programs are offered June 8 to early September each year (ending date varies). "Disco" hikes take place off-trail in the wilderness, and typically involve a bus ride of variable length before and after the hike. You cannot reserve a spot on a disco hike in advance remotely. Come in person to the Denali Visitor Center one or two days in advance to sign up for a given hike.

Other Activities

Any activity not mentioned on this page does not require reservations. For example, any ranger program other than Discovery Hikes, or just dayhiking on your own, are activities that do not require any kind of registration, permit or reservations.


Entrance Fees

In addition to permit fees, there is an overall entrance fee for any visitor traveling to Denali. 

Denali Individual Weekly Pass - $15.00

Admits one individual, 16 years and up.

Denali Annual Pass - $45.00

This pass is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase. The pass covers the cardholder plus up to three fellow travelers. Up to two names can be written on the pass, meaning it can be used by either cardholder.

Last updated: November 1, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 9
Denali Park, AK 99755


907 683-9532
A ranger is available 9 am to 4 pm daily (except on major holidays). If you reach the voicemail, please leave a message and we'll call you back as soon as we finish with the previous caller.

Contact Us

Stay Connected