1938 The lands belonging to the former C&O Canal Company were placed under administrative control of National Capital Parks in Washington, DC.
1957 Edwin Dale was appointed the first Superintendent of the C&O Canal (west) from Seneca to Cumberland. An administrative headquarters was set up at 74 W. Washington S. in Hagerstown, MD. The administration of the canal from Georgetown to Seneca remained with National Capital Parks.
1961 C&O Canal (west) Headquarters moved to 479 N. Potomac St. in Hagerstown, MD.
1965 The administration of the canal from Georgetown to Seneca moved to George Washington Memorial Parkway in McLean, VA.
1965 C&O Canal (west) Headquarters moved to 120 N. Potomac St. in Hagerstown, MD.
1967 Administrative offices for C&O Canal (west) and Antietam were combined, administrative offices were moved to the newly built visitor center at Antietam National Battlefield in Sharpsburg, MD.
1974 William Failor became the first Superintendent for the unified C&O Canal NHP from Georgetown to Cumberland. The Administrative duties for C&O Canal and Antietam were seperated, C&O Canal began looking for a new headquarters site.
1976 C&O Canal offices were moved to a set of trailers behind recently aquired Ferry Hill in Sharpsburg, MD.
1980 Park Headquarters officially opened in the mansion of Ferry Hill Place.
2002 Headquarters moved to 1850 Highway, Hagerstown, MD.
2021 New headquarters completed at 142 W. Potomac St., Williamsport, MD.