Scheduling and Guidelines
Cedar Breaks has a short “field-trip” season due to weather, staffing, school schedules and road availability. Check what is available during the time of year you hope to visit, or check our Current Conditions page for what is available right now.
The best dates to plan a field trip to Cedar Breaks are from June – early October. This is when visitor services including trails, picnic areas, restrooms, and rangers to enhance your visit are available.
- Plan on the temperatures in the park (10,000 + feet in elevation) to be at least 20 degrees cooler than the surrounding valleys (3-5,000 feet in elevation).
- Wind and storms are also more likely than the surrounding valleys, so check the park forecast before heading up.
- Remind students to dress for cooler temps, wear closed-toed shoes, bring a water bottle, snacks and lunch that do not need refrigeration.
- In the off-season (mid-October – late-May) restrooms, trash cans, picnic areas and park staff are not available.
- From late-October to late-May the road into the park is CLOSED.
Field Trip Rules & Regulations
All academic field trips must have an Academic Fee Waiver before visiting the park; otherwise, visitors age 16 + must pay the Entrance Fees.
Travel Time, Picnicking & Restrooms:
Trails & Hiking:
Adequate supervision is highly recommended prior to heading out on a trail; one teacher and/or adult per seven students K-5th grade aged, or one adult per ten students in 6th - 12th grade. You can read more about our trails on our Hike a Trail page.