National Park Service regulations allow school groups and other approved national and international academic institutions to obtain a waiver of park entrance fees, provided the visit is for educational or scientific purposes, and the resources or facilities that the group intends to use support those purposes.
Academic fee waivers are not granted automatically.
Applicants must demonstrate that they qualify for the waiver. There are three requirements (listed below) that the group must meet to qualify for an academic fee waiver:
- National or international applicants must prove they are a school or bona fide academic institution submitting ONE of the following types of documentation:
- A statement confirming educational or scientific tax exemption from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the applicant's national, state, or local tax authority; or
- A statement, from a bona fide academic institution meeting one of these eligibility standards, confirming that the group is visiting for the purpose of providing transferable academic credit based on a curriculum; or
- A statement of accreditation or recognitio n as an educational institution from a legitimate international, national, regional, state, or local authority for the applicant's location.
- Educational Purpose of the Visit; Applicants must provide a written statement on the application verifying that the visit supports a specific curriculum for which academic credit is offered.
- Relevance of Park Resources or Facilities; Applicants must provide a written statement on the application identifying the park resources and/or facilities that will be used to support the educational purpose of the visit, and how they are relevant to that purpose.
Home schools may be granted fee waivers based on the course of study following the procedures above, as long as they meet your state requirements for home schools. A copy of your state's department of education requirements may be requested if you are out-of-state.
Submitting an Academic Fee Waiver Application
Completed applications along with required documentation may be submitted via e-mail or mail.
Email: Best option is to email applications to CedarBreaksInfo@nps.gov or click here.
Mail: Cedar Breaks National Monument
Attention: Academic Fee Waivers Requests
2390 West Highway 56, Suite #11
Cedar City, UT 84720
All applications must be received three weeks prior to your anticipated trip.
- If your group does not meet the three requirements your group will be charged regular fee rates.
- For more information. Visit our Fees page.