|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Visitor Center, 435-425-4111
Torrey, UT - Capitol Reef National Park and the Entrada Institute are partnering to present the 12th annual Heritage Starfest. Programs and discussions will focus on the importance of the night sky resource. Wayne County and Capitol Reef have some of the darkest skies in the nation. Bring a red headlamp or flashlight, and dress warm for all outdoor events. All programs are free to the public.
Friday, October 8 – all events at Capitol Reef National Park
- 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm. Evening program with Sharolyn Anderson, Physical Scientist with the Natural Sounds and Night Sky Division of the National Park Service. Campground amphitheater.
- 9:00 pm to 10:30 pm. Constellation tour with volunteer astronomer Bill Briggs. Gifford House Store and Museum lawn.
Saturday, October 9 – all events in Torrey or Bicknell, UT.
- 1:00 pm to 1:15 pm. Canyon Daley, IDA Colorado Dark Skies Cooperative. 0–12 Art Competition— Film Award. Robbers Roost, Torrey.
- 1:15 pm to 1:30 pm. Elliott Ward, amateur astronomer and Tyler Ward, Entrada Institute. Discussion on telescopes for home use. Robbers Roost, Torrey.
- 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm. Paul Ricketts, Interpretive Specialist, University of Utah Physics and Astronomy Department. Discussion on lighting. Robbers Roost, Torrey.
- 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm. Marci Milligan, President, Entrada Institute, and Jason Wheeler, Architect and Executive Director, Assist Utah. Reception and unveiling of the newly designed “Linton Rohr Stargazer Observatory & Dark Sky Service Awards.” Robbers Roost, Torrey.
- 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm. Night Skies Monitoring Update with Gary Pankow and Tyler Ward, followed by an evening program with Sharolyn Anderson, Physical Scientist with the Natural Sounds and Night Sky Division of the National Park Service. Robbers Roost, Torrey.
- 8:30 pm to 9:00 pm. Constellation tour with volunteer astronomer Bill Briggs and a look through Big Blue (telescope) with Elliott Ward. Robbers Roost, Torrey.
- 9:30 pm to 11:00 pm. Gary Pankow, Entrada Institute. Dark Skies monitoring.
Visit www.entradainstitute.org to sign up for monitoring activities; location provided upon registration. Learn about the Entrada Institute and the Heritage Starfest at www.entradainstitute.org. Visit www.ida.org to learn about the International Dark Sky Association. Information about Capitol Reef National Park can be found at www.nps.gov/care.
Last updated: December 7, 2021