Werowocomoco Planning

Werowocomoco is the location of the leader Powhatan's headquarters during the time of the English arrival at Jamestown in 1607 and the location where Captain John Smith was taken after his capture. ­­It was here that Smith met the influential Powhatan and his daughter Pocahontas. Archaeology indicates it had been a major town for several centuries before Powhatan.

The Conservation Fund, a not-for profit 501(c)3 national conservation organization, recently purchased 264 acres of land in Gloucester County VA encompassing the historic site known as Werowocomoco. The Conservation Fund then transferred the property to the National Park Service to ensure its permanent protection. The site is one of the most important Virginia archeological finds in recent history, and its protection, study and interpretation to the public are of high importance.

The Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail will manage the property for the National Park Service. Werowocomoco has long been identified as a high potential historic site in the trail's comprehensive management plan and conservation strategy.

The site is not yet open to public visitation.

National Park Service staff will begin a collaborative planning and design process for guiding future management of Werowocomoco. The process and resulting plan will address visitor use and facilities, interpretation, education, and overall resource protection.

Many Virginia Indian Tribes have a great deal of interest in Werowocomoco, and we will be working with them to make sure that use of the site is respectful of their heritage.

In addition to Virginia Indian Tribes, we will work with state and local government agencies, and other key partners. We will involve partners and interested members of the public at key steps throughout the effort.

We anticipate initiating the planning/design process by early 2017.

To receive updates on the Werowocomoco planning work, check back to this page.

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

410 Severn Avenue
Suite 314

Annapolis, MD 21403

Phone:

(410) 260-2488

Contact Us