|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Outer Banks Group, 252-475-9034
The Outer Banks Group National Parks, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, and Wright Brothers National Memorial, has begun the initial implementation of the Park's Hurricane Plan in anticipation of the approach of Tropical Storm Arthur.The National Weather Service is predicting that the effects of Tropical Storm Arthur will impact the Outer Banks of North Carolina, by Thursday, July 3, 2014 with storm conditions possibly continuing through Saturday, July 5, 2014.
In anticipation of this weather event, the following NPS facilities will begin closing at noon today, Wednesday, July 2, 2014.
- All NPS campgrounds, Ocracoke, Frisco, Cape Point and Oregon Inlet will close at noon today, Wed., July 2 and remain closed until further notice.The Ocracoke campground reservation system has been temporarily suspended.
- Silver Lake Marina NPS docks will close at noon Wednesday, July 2.
- Ocracoke and Hatteras Island NPS Visitor Centers will close at noon on Wed., July 2 and then remain closed until further notice.Bodie Island Visitor Center, Wright Brothers National Memorial and Fort Raleigh National Historic Site will be closed Thursday and Friday, July 3 and 4.Previously scheduled evening programs are cancelled as of Wed., July 2 until further notice.
- Lifeguard beach operations at Ocracoke, Buxton, and Coquina will close at noon on Wed., July 2 until further notice.
- The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse will close at noon Wed., July 2 and remain closed until further notice.All park special programs scheduled have been cancelled until further notice.
- The Bodie Island Lighthouse will close at 6:30 pm on Wed., July 2 and the climbing reservation system has been temporarily suspended beginning Thursday, July 3.
- All NPS beaches will be closed to off-road vehicles by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 2 and remain closed until further notice.
- The Buxton and Ocracoke Off-Road Vehicle Permit offices will close at noon on Wed., July 2.The Bodie Island Off-Road Vehicle Permit office will close at 4:30 p.m. on Wed, July 2.
For more information, listen to NOAA weather radio and local radio and media for updates and advisories.