Cape Hatteras Fishing Pier and Pier House Removal Scheduled to Begin in December 2017

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: October 27, 2017
Contact: John Kowlok, 252-475-9024

A project to remove Cape Hatteras Fishing Pier and its pier house will begin in December 2017. The removal project was awarded to DOT Construction (Beaufort, NC) and is expected to be completed by Spring 2018.

Cape Hatteras Fishing Pier, also known as Frisco Pier, was opened to the public in 1962. The pier was originally 20 feet wide and 500 feet long, but has sustained damage from numerous hurricanes and other severe weather events over the years. In 2010, the damage caused by Hurricane Earl was so severe that the pier and pier house was closed to the public and has not reopened. Structural failures continue as debris, including large timbers containing rusted lag bolts and nails, regularly falls off the structure and creates public safety hazards. In September 2013, the National Park Service reached an agreement with the pier’s private owner on the possessory interest value of the structures, which included the pier, pier house, and parking lot.

During the removal of the pier and pier house, parking will not be available. After the pier and pier house are removed, the Seashore will begin planning for a project to improve the parking lot and provide restroom facilities.

Last updated: October 27, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Cape Hatteras National Seashore
1401 National Park Drive

Manteo, NC 27954


(252) 473-2111

Contact Us