Photo of the Week
On the morning of Sunday, November 25, a training mine containing no ordnance was discovered south of Salvo, near off-road vehicle ramp 23. The training mine was anchored in place by National Park Service Rangers until a U.S. Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal team from Norfolk, Virginia arrived for retrieval. The training mine was safely removed from the beach shortly after 2:00 pm.
- Strong wind gusts were recorded by the National Weather Service last Saturday evening. Seashore facilities were not damaged.
- The runway at the Billy Mitchell Airport in Frisco will be closed to all aircraft traffic from December 4 at 6:00 am until December 7 at 6:00 am for maintenance activities. Maintenance activities will also close the runway at Ocracoke Airport from December 4 at 6:00 am until December 5 at 6:00 am and from December 7 at 6:00 am until December 9 at 6:00 am. For questions, call Ron McCollum, NC Division of Aviation, at 919-814-0562.
- For beach and ocean condition updates, go to: http://go.nps.gov/beachaccess.
- Public Meeting
- Dec 5 from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm (Fessenden Center Annex Building, Buxton)
- Description: Cape Hatteras National Seashore will hold a public meeting to discuss its plans for a new beach parking area in Buxton. [Press Release]
- Winter Lighthouse Climb
- Dec 8 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (FREE)
- Description: Enjoy a winter view of Hatteras Island from the top of Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Presented in partnership with the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society. A little later in the day, make sure to check out the Hatteras Island Christmas Parade starting at 2:00 pm in Hatteras.