Commercial Use Authorizations

What is a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA)?

36 CFR Section 5.3 states, “Engaging in or soliciting any business in park areas, except in accordance with the provisions of a permit, contract, or other written agreement with the United States, except as specifically authorized under special regulations applicable to a park area, is prohibited.”

CUAs, a type of permit, fall under the authority of Section 418 of the National Park Service Concession Management Improvement Act of 1998 (16 U.S.C 5966 Public Law 105-391). The section authorizes the National Park Service to issue CUAs to individuals, corporations, and other entities to provide commercial services to park visitors in limited circumstances.

What commercial activities are authorized in Cape Cod National Seashore?

All commercial activity in the park must be permitted by the National Park Service (NPS). Learn which activities are currently authorized for a CUA in Cape Cod National Seashore.

What are the general criteria for the issuance of a CUA?

The authorization is issued to a qualified operator to permit the provision of appropriate commercial services to park area visitors. A qualified operator is an organization that the superintendent determines has the ability to satisfactorily provide visitor services and carry out the terms of the CUA.

Authorized commercial services must:
  • Have minimal impact on park area’s resources and values;
  • Are consistent with the purpose for which the park area was established;
  • Are consistent with all applicable park area management plans, policies, and regulations.
The holder must agree to comply with all of the general and specific conditions described in the CUA conditions. You should familiarize yourself with these documents before applying for a CUA.

Road-based Commercial Tour (RBCT) CUA Information

The National Park Service (NPS) has standardized Road-based Commercial Tour (RBCT) commercial use authorization (CUA) requirements and fees throughout the entire agency. These requirements have been DELAYED.

When the policy goes into effect, all Road-based Commercial Tour operators will be required to apply for a Road-based Commercial Tour CUA for each park unit where they want to commercially operate.
  • A Road-based Commercial Tour is defined as: one or more persons traveling by vehicle on an improved roadway, on an itinerary that a company or individual has packaged, priced and sold for leisure/recreational purposes, and; provides no other services except those incidental to road-based travel in an area unit of the National Park Service (on-board interpretation and incidental stops at visitor centers, restaurants, wayside exhibits, etc.).
  • The Application form for CUA Road-based Commercial Tours can be found on the Cape Cod National Seashore CUA website.
The responsibility for obtaining a Road-based Commercial Tour CUA will fall on the company that packaged, priced, and sold the tour. A chartered motorcoach company does not need a road-based commercial tour CUA if the tour company paying for charter service determines the origin, destination, and scheduling of the trip. A charter company advertising tours to national parks, however, meets the definition of road-based commercial tour and must have a road-based commercial tour CUA.

Please refer to the National Park Service Commercial Use Authorizations website for up to date information regarding agency wide program information.

Road-based Tours Info.

For more Road-based Commercial Tours information, follow the link below.

Click Here

Last updated: December 11, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

99 Marconi Site Road
Wellfleet, MA 02667


(508) 255-3421

Contact Us