|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Gary Bremen, 305-230-1144, x007
It's Awards Season in Hollywood, and no better time to take the 13th season of Biscayne National Park's Family Fun Fest on a look back of some of the biggest motion pictures in Oscars history. On Sunday, February 10 from 1-4 p.m. at the Dante Fascell Visitor Center, A Salute to Hollywood will remake Hollywood blockbusters with a Biscayne twist.The event is free and open to the public, and visitors are encouraged to dress to the nines! The Visitor Center is located at 9700 SW 328 Street, 9 miles east of Homestead
A Salute to Hollywood will feature five hands-on and engaging activity stations located around the visitor center. Stations include:
- My Fair Lady - A giant board game engages families in reading Charlotte's Story, the true tale of a woman who left the good life for a life of adventure on the park's Elliott Key in 1934.
- Out of Africa - From dust and tree names, to pirates and hurricanes, Biscayne's African connections may surprise you.
- On the Waterfront - Groundwater may be out of sight, but it should never be out of mind!
- Crash - Who ran aground and destroyed precious resources in Biscayne National Park?
- The Red Carpet - Join You-Know-Who's salty sister Joan Oceans on the red carpet as she welcomes guests to the prestigious "Parkies" awards ceremony!
Participants receive a passport to get stamped at each activity station, and those who complete all five activities will earn a specially-designed button to remember the day. Earning all five buttons in a season earns a Family Fun Fest Fanatic award in April.
Future Family Fun Fests this season also fall under the "Starpower" theme. They are:
- 500 Years in the Sunshine State - March 10, 2013 - Celebrate five centuries of Florida history as represented in the resources of Biscayne National Park.
- It's SUN-day! - April 14, 2012 - Wondering what our nearest star has done for us lately? LOTS!
Family Fun Fest's Season 13: Starpower! is made possible through generous donations from park visitors and the Bobby Duryea Fund at the South Florida National Parks Trust, with additional support from the Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserves and a host of dedicated volunteers.
The Dante Fascell Visitor Center is located at 9700 SW 328 Street, nine miles east of Homestead, Florida. Call 305-230-7275, extension 0 or visit the park's website at www.nps.gov/bisc for more information. For regular updates from the park, "like" us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/BiscayneNPS and "follow" us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/BiscayneNPS.