For specific statistical information about Big Bend National Park or any of the National Park Service units , please visit: NPS Stats
Park Establishment and Designations
In 1933, Texas established Texas Canyons State Park using 15 school sections owned by the state. Lands forfeited for non payment of taxes were quickly added and the name was changed to Big Bend State Park, and by October 1933 included about 160,000 acres. On June 20, 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a bill that authorized the establishment of Big Bend National Park. On June 6, 1944 a deed for about 700,000 acres was formally presented to President Roosevelt. On June 12, 1944, Big Bend was established as a national park by Congressional Act signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. It was designated an International Biosphere Reserve in 1976.
Did You Know?
There are eight National Register of Historic Places sites or districts in Big Bend National Park. They are Burro Mesa, Castolon Historic District, Hot Springs Historic District, the Mariscal Mining District, the Homer Wilson Ranch, Rancho Estelle, Daniel’s Ranch and Luna’s Jacal. More...