June 27, 2017
The Tioga Road will open on Thursday, June 29, 2017, at 8 am, conditions permitting.
Bicycles will be allowed on the road beginning on Wednesday, June 28, at 8 am.
Glacier Point Road
May 10, 2017
The Glacier Point Road opened for the season on May 11, 2017, at 9 am. Check the current conditions page for its current status.
Trails from the Glacier Point Road are very snowy; hikers will need cross-country navigation skills using a map and compass, as well as snowshoes or skis.
- Due to snow pack, trails along Glacier Point Road lose their definition. Every year, hikers become lost. Conditions this year are even worse than past years.
- As always, leave your hiking plan, including route, destination, and return time with a trusted person. Leave another hiking itinerary in the glove box of your vehicle.
- Hiking the Glacier Point area means hiking in winter travel conditions and anyone who hikes it should have good wayfinding skills including a suitable topo map and compass (GPS optional).
- Following footprints in the snow or rock cairns is risky; they may belong to someone else—who also got lost.
- Always pay attention to your return route and alwaysbe able to return from the way you came.