Last updated: August 6, 2014
El Portal Fire: Firefighters have achieved 100% containment of the El Portal Fire. Interior smoldering and stump-hole fires will continue over the next few days. They are all within the perimeter and firefighters are now in the mop-up phase. Smoke will continue to be visible. As with any fire incident in Yosemite National Park, firefighter and public safety is our number one priority. We appreciate everyone’s assistance with this priority.
- The fire is currently 4,689 acres and is 100% contained.
- Resources assigned include 220 personnel.
- As of August 5, at 0600, a Type 3 organization is managing this fire. The fire is on both NPS lands and Stanislaus National Forest.
- On July 26, at approximately 3:15, the El Portal fire began in the community of El Portal.
- The Merced Grove of the Sequoia trees remains closed.
- Fire map
Dark Hole Fire: This lightning caused fire began on July 17, 2014 in designated Wilderness, near the Yosemite Creek Campground. The fire is being suppressed by handline construction using minimum impact suppression tactics and natural barriers of granite ridgelines and out-croppings. Minimal fire activity is occurring. Minimal smoke production was observed.
- The fire is currently 770 acres and is 61% contained.
- Fire resources assigned include 61 firefighters
- As of August 5, the fire is being managed by a Type 3 organization.
- The fire began on July 17, 2014 due to lightning.
- The fire perimeter is within Yosemite National Park designated wilderness.
- Yosemite Creek Campground is closed
- Fire map
Campgrounds & Roads Affected
- All park roads are open.
- Yosemite Creek Campground is closed due to the Dark Hole Fire.
- Bridalveil Creek Campground is now re-opened.
- Crane Flat Campground is partially open.
- Hodgdon Meadow Campground remains open.
For More Information
- Fire information: firstname.lastname@example.org, 209 372-0480.
- For a recorded message: 209 372-0327.
- For health effects of smoke: www.mariposacounty.org/index.aspx?NID=89
- For Yosemite air quality: www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/aqmonitoring.htm
- For smoke updates: www.californiasmokeinfo.blogspot.com
- For El Portal Fire and general information please go to : www.inciweb.gov
- Yosemite National Park Web page: https://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/current _fire.htm
- Yosemite Wildland Fire Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yosemite -Wildland-Fire/12463296455395