Last updated: August 2, 2014
General El Portal Fire Information
The El Portal Fire remains active in steep and remote terrain requiring dependence on TYPE 1 hand crews. As with any incident in Yosemite National Park, firefighter and public safety is our number one priority. We appreciate everyone’s assistance with this priority.
• The fire is currently 4,689 acres and is 78% contained.
• Resources assigned include 1,341Fire Personnel.
• As of August 1 at 3PM, the evacuation order for Foresta was lifted for residents.
• As of July 29 at 9AM, the evacuation order for Old El Portal was lifted for residents.
• As of July 27, a Type 1 Interagency Management Team, from Southern California, was given command of this fire. The fire is on both NPS lands and Stanislaus National Forest. Joint Unified Command has been established.
• On July 26, at approximately 3:15, the El Portal fire began in the community of El Portal.
Campgrounds & Roads Affected
• Tioga Road is open and all of Highway 120 is open.
• All of Big Oak Flat Road is open.
• Crane Flat Campground is closed due to the El Portal Fire.
• Yosemite Creek Campground is closed due to the Dark Hole Fire.
• Bridalveil Creek Campground is being used for fire operations and is therefore closed.
• Hodgdon Meadow Campground remains open.
Additional Fire Activity in Yosemite – all lightning started fires in designated Wilderness
• Dark Hole (727 acres, 39% contained) – managing for minimum impact to wilderness character and is being managed by the Type 1 Interagency Team.
• Mount Starr King (.5 acres) – smoldering and creeping
• Lembert (.25 acres) – smoldering and creeping
• Cathedral (.5 acres) – smoldering and creeping
• Elbow (2 acres) – smoldering and creeping
For More Information
El Portal Fire updates are provided by the Type 1 Incident Management Team, working closely with park management. Fire information call center: 209-372-0327 or 209-372-0328.