Size: 5,724 acres
Incident Personnel: 128
Fuels: Mixed conifer, oak and brush
The north flank of the fire was the most active yesterday as it burned into heavy pockets of fuel. The south and west flanks of the fire are contained, some smoke will be visible as logs and brush burn in the interior. Crews will continue to patrol and monitor the flanks closest to the community of Wawona and Mariposa Grove. Crews are continuing containment strategies on the north-west edge of the fire and to keep fire south and south-east of Chilnualna Creek. The north and east flank of the fire is continuing to burn in the wilderness, and will be monitored by aircraft due to inaccessible and steep terrain. As fire continues into the high country it will hit some pockets of heavy vegetation with little fire history but slow down with natural granite barriers and sparse vegetation which will limit smoke production. This high country wilderness area has few high values at risk.
The following trail and area closures are in place until further notice:
- The Swinging Bridge Trail on both the north and south sides of the South Fork of the Merced River.
- The Chilnualna Falls Trail from Wawona Trailhead to the top of Chilnualna Falls.
- The two mile connecting trail heading north from the top of Chilnualna Falls to the intersection of the Buena Vista Trail.
- The Chilnualna Creek Trail from the top of Chilnualna Falls east to the intersection of the Buena Vista and Buck Camp trails (Just east of Johnson Lake).
- Turner Meadow Trail
- Turner Meadow intersection east to Buena Vista trail
- Off-trail areas in the vicinity of the South Fork Fire Area, including the swimming holes north of Chilnualna Creek.
- All climbing routes on and around Wawona Dome are closed.
For additional information:
- Fire Information: Yose_Fire_Info@nps.gov, (209) 379-1493
- Yosemite National Park Fire Information website: http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/fireinfo.htm
- Facebook, search: Yosemite Fire and Aviation
- Twitter, search @YosemiteFire : http://www.twitter.com/YosemiteFire
- Air Quality: https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/nature/aqmonitoring.htm
- Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5502/