Size: 5,191 acres
Incident Personnel: 101
Fuels: Mixed conifer, oak and brush
Yesterday the fire was most active on the north and north east flanks. The north flank of the fire burned in heavy fuels; fire behavior consisted of ground burning and some group tree torching. The east flank is being slowed by natural barriers and sparse vegetation. Crews are continuing to patrol the flank nearest the community of Wawona and the Mariposa Grove. Aircraft will assist in securing the line as needed. Repair and rehabilitation have begun within the Yosemite Wilderness.
The fire has burned into the fire-adapted wilderness. Allowing fires to burn naturally can result in healthier, more diverse ecosystems. Reducing fuel buildup minimizes the potential for future severe fires.
The following trail and area closures are in place until further notice:
- The Swinging Bridge Trail on both the north and south sides of the South Fork of the Merced River.
- The Chilnualna Falls Trail from Wawona Trailhead to the top of Chilnualna Falls.
- The two mile connecting trail heading north from the top of Chilnualna Falls to the intersection of the Buena Vista Trail.
- The Chilnualna Creek Trail from the top of Chilnualna Falls east to the intersection of the Buena Vista and Buck Camp trails (Just east of Johnson Lake).
- Off-trail areas in the vicinity of the South Fork Fire Area, including the swimming holes north of Chilnualna Creek.
- All climbing routes on and around Wawona Dome are closed.
Fire Managers are working with the local Air Quality Districts and will be monitoring smoke impacts to the park and local communities. Community members who are sensitive to smoke may want to close their windows and doors and monitor the air quality links below.
For additional information:
- Fire Information: Yose_Fire_Info@nps.gov, (209) 379-1493
- Yosemite National Park Fire Information website: http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/fireinfo.htm
- Facebook, search: Yosemite Fire and Aviation
- Twitter, search @YosemiteFire : http://www.twitter.com/YosemiteFire
- Air Quality: https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/nature/aqmonitoring.htm
- Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5502/