Dark Hole Fire: This lightning caused fire began on July 17, 2014 in designated Wilderness, near the Yosemite Creek Campground. The fire is being suppressed by handline construction using minimum impact suppression tactics and natural barriers of granite ridgelines and rock out-croppings. The fire is currently 1080 acres and is 70% contained. Smoke has been visible from many locations within Yosemite.
- The fire began on July 17, 2014 due to lightning.
- Fire resources assigned include 60 firefighters.
- The fire perimeter is within Yosemite National Park designated wilderness.
- Yosemite Creek Campground is closed.
- The fire is currently 4,689 acres and is 100% contained.
- Resources assigned include 6 personnel.
- The fire is on both NPS lands and Stanislaus National Forest.
- The fire began on July 26, at approximately 3:15 PM, near the community of El Portal.
Campgrounds &Roads Affected
- All park roads are open.
- Yosemite Creek Campground is closed due to the Dark Hole Fire.
- All other park campgrounds remain open.
- The Merced Grove of the giant Sequoias is open to visitors.
Other Yosemite Fires –July Lightning caused fires
The Lembert (unable to locate, but light smoke is in the area), Starr King (.75 acres), and Cathedral (.90 acres) are the only fires showing activity. These high elevation fires remain small and are smoldering and creeping through surface fuels. The Rancheria and Morrison fires are in patrol status after being suppressed. All other fires are inactive or have naturally gone out. All of these fires areas continue to receive rain due to daily afternoon thunderstorms.
As with any fire incident in Yosemite National Park, firefighter and public safety is our number one priority. We appreciate everyone's assistance with this priority.
For More Information
- Fire information: email@example.com, 209 372-0480.
- For a recorded message: 209 372-0327.
- For health effects of smoke: www.mariposacounty.org/index.aspx?NID=89
- For Yosemite air quality: www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/aqmonitoring.htm
- For smoke updates: www.californiasmokeinfo.blogspot.com
- For El Portal Fire and general information please go to : www.inciweb.gov
- Yosemite National Park Web page: https://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/current _fire.htm
- Yosemite Wildland Fire Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yosemite -Wildland-Fire/12463296455395