Includes the Yellowstone River upstream of Chittenden Bridge near Canyon, Yellowstone Lake and its tributaries, Middle Creek of the North Fork Shoshone River.
Yellowstone River opens July 15.
Permanently Closed to Fishing on the Yellowstone River
- Fishing Bridge and an area one mile (1.6 km) downstream (toward Canyon) and 1/4 mile (.4 km) upstream (toward Yellowstone Lake)
- The Yellowstone River 100 yards (91 m) up- and downstream of LeHardys Rapids.
- The Yellowstone River and its tributaries in Hayden Valley from the confluence of Alum Creek upstream to Sulphur Cauldron.
Yellowstone Lake opens with the general season.
Streams flowing into Yellowstone Lake, its tributaries, and areas within 100 yards (91 m) of each stream’s outlet open July 15. Access to many areas is restricted by Bear Management Area Closures, see the Yellowstone Backcountry Trip Planner for details.
Permanently Closed to Fishing along Yellowstone Lake
- The shoreline of Yellowstone Lake from West Thumb Geyser Basin to Little Thumb Creek is closed to protect fragile thermal resources.
- Bridge Bay Marina/Harbor and Grant Village Marina/Harbor and their channels to the lake.
- Pelican Creek from its mouth to a point two miles (3.2 km) upstream.
Native Trout Conservation Area
- Catch and release all native fish.
- No possession limit on nonnative fish. All lake trout must be killed.