Lodging No Longer Standing
Marshall’s Hotel, which stood near the present-day intersection of Fountain Flats Drive and Grand Loop Road, was built in 1880 and was the second hotel in the park. Later renamed the Firehole Hotel, it was razed in 1895, with other buildings removed later.
Fountain Hotel opened in 1891 north of Fountain Paint Pot. This was one of the first Yellowstone hotels where bears were fed for the entertainment of guests. The hotel closed after 1916 and was torn down in 1927.
Four lodging facilities were built at Norris. Three were built between 1886 and 1892; the first two burned. The last hotel at Norris, which overlooked Porcelain Basin, served the public from 1901 to 1917.
Three hotels were built in succession at Canyon, the last being the largest hotel in the park. Sited where the horse stables are now, the Canyon Hotel was closed in 1958 due to financial and maintenance problems and burned in 1960.
The old Canyon Hotel was located about 1 mile south of Canyon Junction at the present site of the horse corrals. It was a huge building, nearly a mile around its perimeter. It was dismantled and burned in 1962. See Aubrey Haines' account of this in The Yellowstone Story, Vol. II. Little if anything is left of the hotel building itself, but the hotel's cistern and the dump remain. The winterkeeper's house is also from this era. The cistern is being studied for removal, the dump is an archeological site that must be evaluated before further action is taken, and the house is being considered for the National Register of Historic Places.
The old Canyon Lodge was located at the present site of Uncle Tom's parking lot and in the meadows just east of the rest rooms. Remnants of this complex can still be found in the meadows.
These and other sites of former park facilities are historic archeological sites. They are studied and documented for what they reveal about past visitor use in the park.
The list below includes academic publications, government publications, management documents that inform the decision-making process at Yellowstone. The Yellowstone Resources and Issues Handbook, updated annually, is the book our rangers use to answer many basic park questions.
Flather, B. Red Sowash and the Round Prairie Saloon Yellowstone Science 11(4).
Goss, R.V. Yellowstone’s First General Store. A Legacy of Jennie Henderson and Her Family. Yellowstone Science 13(2).
Hert, Tamsen Emerson, Luxury in the Wilderness. The Grand Canyon Hotel 1911–1960. Yellowstone Science 13:3
Quinn, R. Overcoming Obscurity. The Yellowstone Architecture of Robert C. Reamer. Yellowstone Science 12(2).
Reinhardt, K.W. Old Faithful Inn: Centennial of a Beloved Landmark. Yellowstone Science 12(2).
Wheaton, R.L. Architecture of Yellowstone: A Microcosm of American Design. Yellowstone Science 8(4).
Whittlesey, L., and P. Schullery, The Roosevelt Arch: A Centennial History of an American Icon. Yellowstone Science 11(3).
Last updated: June 22, 2016