Permits & Reservations


Federal Subsistence Permits
Qualified local rural residents may hunt, trap, and fish in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve and on the Upper Copper River under federal subsistence regulations. Depending on the species and area, a federal registration permit may be required. Please go to the Subsistence page for more information, including eligibility requirements.

Federal subsistence permits are available at the Wrangell-St. Elias Visitor Center in Copper Center, the Slana Ranger Station, and the Chitina Ranger Station. Fishing permits are available usually in May and hunting permits are available usually in July. You can inquire at park visitor centers for specifc information about obtaining a permit. Please bring a photo ID (such as a drivers license) and proof of local physical address when you come to get a permit. Documentation of physical address can include a voter registration card or a utility bill listing your physical address.

Off Road Vehicle (ORV) Permits
ORV permits are required for all recreational users. We encourage subsistence users to obtain an ORV permit, but it is not required for subsistence users. Please visit our Off Road Vehicle page for detailed information.

Backcountry Permits
Permits are not required to hike or camp in the backcountry. However, we have some restrictions on large groups of people camping in the backcountry. Please go to our Backcountry Frequently Asked Questions page to find out more about what it takes to experience the backcountry at Wrangell-St. Elias.

Commercial Use
A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is necessary to operate commercially within Wrangell-St. Elias National Park & Preserve. Learn more about conducting business within the park.

Air Taxi CUAs in Wrangell-St.Elias are only issued for one-year; all other commercial activities in Wrangell may be permitted for one or two-years.

Commercial Filming & Still Photography
For any commercial operation wishing to film or take photographs within the boundaries of the park and preserve.

Special Use Permit Application (fillable pdf format 750 KB)
For permits that may be necessary for a variety of activities, such as organizing a large wedding in the park. Special Use Permits (SUPs) ensure that activities under permit do not cause unacceptable impacts to park resources, conflict with other permitted activities or user groups, and minimize negative impacts on the visitor experience.

To apply for a permit, please Email the Special Use Permit Coordinator or call 907-822-7206. An application fee of $200 and complete application packets must be received at least 30 days prior to the start date of the activity to ensure that there is sufficient time to review and process the request. Thank you for your interest in planning your activity in Wrangell-St. Elias and we look forward to working with you.

General Conditions Applying to All Permits

  • Activities must not impact park resources or negatively affect visitor experience.

  • Permit holders are required to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, regulations, and codes. Additional restrictions and conditions can be found in the Superintendent's Compendium.


Public Use Cabin Reservations
Currently, there are 14 public-use cabins located within Wrangell-St. Elias. All cabins are in remote locations and require hikers/campers to make appropriate plans. Most cabins are available on a first-come, first-served basis. However, there are currently four cabins that require a reservation. Go to our Public-Use Cabin page to learn more about these cabins and how to make a reservation.

Other Reservations
If you plan on enjoying the park with commercial outfitters and guides, or by staying at private campgrounds and lodging facilities, you should arrange any reservations directly through them.

Last updated: March 15, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Wrangell-St. Elias National Park & Preserve
PO Box 439
Mile 106.8 Richardson Highway

Copper Center, AK 99573


907 822-5234

Contact Us