From family reunions to weddings to scout jamborees, White Sands National Park has long been a popular meeting place for large gatherings. Our group use area is the perfect location for private functions, and is available for reservation.
Group Use Area Amenities
The group use area is a semi-private location that includes one vault toilet with two stalls; one large shaded pavilion that includes five tables with enough seating for 25 people; two large charcoal grills (charcoal is not provided); and a few individual shaded picnic tables.
Trash receptacles are also available near the shade pavilion. For large groups, trash removal may be a condition of your reservation. We encourage green picnic practices to reduce the amount of trash generated in the park.
No water is available in the group use area or dunefield. If you need to fill up water containers, you can do so at the visitor center. We recommend having at least one gallon of water per person per day for each person in your party. For detailed information on how to keep everyone safe during your event, please read our desert safety information.
When to Submit Your Permit Request
The group use area is reserved on a first come, first serve basis. Group use area reservation requests may be submitted up to six months in advance and no less than 14 days in advance of your requested date.
The group use area is available for day use beginning at 10:00 a.m. (or earlier if available) until the park's closing time.
Group Tent Camping
The group use area may also be reserved for group tent camping. Camping will include additional fees. There is a 12 person minimum for tent camping in the group use area.
A $25 non-refundable reservation fee must be paid at the time of reservation. Reservation forms submitted without payment will not be processed.
How to Reserve the Group Use Area
1. Complete and submit the group use area reservation form. The reservation form must be received by the park no less than 14 working days prior to your requested date.
3. Submit the completed group use area reservation form, general permit conditions, and a $25 non-refundable reservation fee by appointment or via mail. Factor in additional time for payments processed through the mail.
4. Submit payment In the form of a cashier's check or money order. Credit cards and personal or business checks are not accepted. Make checks or money orders payable to the National Park Service.
If sending payment via mail, send payment to:
Special Park Uses
White Sands National Park
PO Box 1086
Holloman AFB, NM 88330
5. Once the reservation form and payment is received, most group use area reservation requests will be processed within fourteen working days. Please account for the time required for the park to receive your reservation form and payment when submitting your application via the mail.
6. The Special Use Permit Coordinator will email you with the approval or denial of the reservation. The sooner we receive your request, the better the chance of getting approved. Reservations made be made up to six months in advance of your requested date.