On September 20, 2002 the National Park Trust donated 32.5 acres to the National Park Service. This area includes the core area of the Spring Hill Ranch headquarters including the 1881 limestone ranch house, three-story limestone barn and outbuildings, and one-room Lower Fox Creek School. As stated in Public Law 104-333 the National Park Service "shall acquire, by donation, not more than 180 acres of real property within the boundaries of the preserve." Following are photos from this special day.
Land Transfer Ceremony
The National Parks and Conservation Association (NPCA), created to protect national parklands, founded the National Park Trust (NPT) in 1983. While NPT maintains a close association with the NPCA, today NPT is an independent private nonprofit 501 (c) 3 land conservancy. It is the only conservancy exclusively dedicated to preserving and protecting America's national parks.
Not all national park lands are preserved and protected. In fact, more than 2 million acres are privately owned. The National Park Trust steps in and works with the National Park Service (NPS) to purchase lands from willing sellers in order to protect the integrity of our nation's natural, historic, and cultural resources. The NPT is the only land conservancy dedicated exclusively to preserving and protecting America's national parks.
The NPT's mission is to assist the NPS to:
Last updated: January 5, 2017