The Tallgrass Artist Residency will invite 8 artists to participate in two-week residency periods between May and September 2018. During individual residency periods, each artist will have a public program at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve. Exact dates and times TBD.
Artists will also participate in a group exhibition at the Bank Art Space and the Tallgrass Artist Symposium at the Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art in Manhattan, KS. The opening of the exhibition and the symposium of artist talks is scheduled to take place on October 13, 2018.
This residency seeks to create connection and conversation across the Great Plains by requesting that applicants currently live in a place that is ecologically considered prairie(though it may be paved and urbanized!). Ideal applicants will have a strong body of work with a voice that reflects the artist's own community; a dedication to place, and an interest in participating in a contemporary dialogue. Applicants from all backgrounds and career levels, media and practice are welcome.
The Tallgrass Residency is headquartered at The Bank Art Space in the small community of Matfield Green, KS. Additional regional partners in the 2018 program include Matfield Station, The Volland Store, Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art, and The Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve in Strong City.
Applications are due by February 28, with notification by the end of March.
Artists will be selected based on review of applications by a jury:
-Larry Meeker (Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission)
-Matt Regier (The Bank Art Space
-Amy Kleigman (Charlotte Street Foundation)
-Casey Whittier (Kansas City Art Institute, Tallgrass Artist Residency 2016)
Applications are due by February 28, with notification by end of March.
- Residency periods must occur in ten night blocks between May and September 2018
- Artists will stay at one of our partner lodging sites in Kansas, which include Matfield Station and The Volland Store
- During the residency period, each artist will give an "open studio" public program at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve.
- Artists will be asked to contribute some kind of documentation during their residency for promotional purposes - snapshots, a blog post, etc.
- Artists will be required to participate in a group exhibition in the Fall of 2018 at the Bank Art Space in Matfield Green, KS.
- Artists are also required to participate in the Tallgrass Symposium at the Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art on October 13, 2018. (View artist talks from 2016, online)
- Artists will be provided ten nights of free lodging at one of three partner sites.
- Artists may be granted special access at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve
- Each artist will receive a stipend of $300-400 for travel and material reimbursement.
- Artists will be provided lodging for up to two nights in Matfield Green during closing events on October 13, 2018.
- Reimbursements will be available for shipping artwork to and from group exhibition.
Tallgrass Artist Residency program website: tallgrassart.wordpress.com
To contact the program directly:
- Kelly Yarbrough / Residency Coordinator: tallgra
- Derek & Katherine Hamm / Residency On-site Managers: thebank@