The National Register of Historic Places lists many properties significant for education. We are pleased to promote the awareness of and appreciation for education related properties.
New Listings in the National Register
The Children's Village--Illinois Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's School in Normal, Illinois
Begun in 1930 and completed in 1931, Children’s Village is a collection of eight identical Tudor Revival cottages and four matching play houses symmetrically arranged around a central promenade. The Children's Village was the third enclave of residential buildings designed on the site of the Illinois Soldiers' Orphans' Home, which was founded just after the Civil War to function as a refuge for military orphans. Children's Village was the third enclave of residential buildings designed on the site of the Illinois Soldiers' Orphans' Home, which was founded just after the Civil War to function as a refuge for military orphans. The home offered them a chance for a better life. It retained that name until 1931, when the Illinois Soldiers' Orphans' Home was renamed the Illinois Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's School (ISSCS). That remained its name until the institution closed in 1979.
Previously Featured Properties:
Constructed in 1936 to consolidate the town's two surviving one room schoolhouses and a four room village school, Rollinsford Grade School continues to serve as the town's only active school building. The school was constructed with funding from the Public Works Administration or PWA.
The gravestone is for the Cocker Spaniel Obo II who was imported from England in 1882 by James P. Willey. Obo II is credited as the father of the American Cocker Spaniel. Although the grave marker predates the construction of Rollinsford Grade School the stone, which sits on the southwestern edge of the playground, has been and continues to serve as a traditional gathering spot for school children during recess and after school, even when this practice was discouraged by the school faculty.
This school had its beginnings in the 1920s, when the city was making significant strides in expanding its elementary school opportunities, and was appropriately expanded several times as the population of the district it served increased. It continues to serve its originally intended purpose.
Forest Grove School No.5 is of local significance as a one-room school as an example of rural schools in Iowa and of the national trends in education. This one-room schoolhouse served to educate students in grades kindergarten to 8th grade beginning in 1873, when the schoolhouse was built, to 1957, when it closed. It remains a cherished landmark of local heritage representing 84 years of education in Iowa.
The Sweeney School, which opened in 1917, is the building most directly associated with E. J . Sweeney's contribution to the field of vocational education as the developer of a widely successful and innovative instructional program. In 1908, as founder and president of the Sweeney Automobile and Tractor School, he developed and instructed in the "Sweeney System," a wholly unique method of hands-on teaching that combined practical experience with quality instruction.
The Catawba School was built in 1924-25 to serve the African-American community in southeastern York County, South Carolina. It was known as the Catawba School on official lists of Rosenwald schools, but is generally known as the Liberty Hill School locally because of its association with Liberty Hill Missionary Baptist Church nearby.
The 1922 Beaver Meadow School on Chapel Hill Road in Norwich, Vermont, is an example of the One-Room School property type. After educational use ceased in 1946, the Beaver Meadow School became a community clubhouse and is notable and significant as a one-room rural school that retains its original classroom interior.
The 63rd Army Air Forces Contract Pilot School (Primary) is significant under National Register Criterion A at the state level in the area of military history because it represents the mobilization and training of American pilots before and during World War II and because it is the most intact of the eight pilot training schools built in Georgia and among the 75 built throughout the nation.
Sydenstricker School was the last one-room schoolhouse built prior to school consolidation in Fairfax County, and it was the last operating one-room schoolhouse in the county when it closed in 1939. The building consists of the main schoolroom, which measures 805 square feet in the main core, and a 65 square foot cloakroom, which was the original entrance into the building, now used as a kitchen.
The Spanish American War ended in 1898 resulting with Puerto Rico becoming a territory of the United States. By the time William Hunt took office as governor in 1900 there were just over 500 schoolrooms on the island, as inherited from the Spanish colonial government. The illiteracy rate was 79.6%. By 1930, Puerto Rico boasted 3,273 schools and, according to available records, only 41% of its population could not read or write.
The majority of one-teacher schools in Missouri were located in rural areas of the state, outside the political boundaries of towns and cities. They existed in every county and serviced rural townships and small villages.
Will Rogers High School, Tulsa, Oklahoma: "The schools ain't what they used to be and never was." - Will Rogers. Will may have had a different opinion if he saw the Will Rogers High School. The school was built during the Great Depression through funding from a Public Works Administration grant, Will Rogers High School in Tulsa, Oklahoma, now stands as one of the best examples of Art Deco high school architecture in the United States. Rogers' images, set in backgrounds of Oklahoma countryside and Tulsa's downtown, brought together local, state and national points of pride.
Model Farm, Guilford County, North Carolina
While not the typical “school” that comes to mind at this time of year, the Model Farm in High Point, Guilford County, North Carolina was an important educational facility in the post-Civil War south. The Model Farm was established in 1867 by the Baltimore Association of Friends to Advise and Assist Friends in Southern States, in order to improve farming techniques and crop yields for those Quakers pursuing agriculture in Guilford County.
Learn More: The National Park Service and Education
for a place to spend some time, have some fun and learn in the process, LearnNPS is for you.
Web Rangers: This is the National Park Service's on-line Junior Ranger program for kids of all ages. If you love your National Parks, Monuments and Historic Sites, this site is for you.
Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plans: Teaching with Historic Places (TwHP) uses properties listed in the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places to enliven history, social studies, geography, civics, and other subjects.
The National Park Service Archeology Program has great resources
Last updated: September 6, 2019