Become a GIS Intern
Become a Geographical Information Systems (GIS) intern with the National Park Service (NPS)! View other opportunities on the National Park Service Youth and Young Adult Programs. “Work With Us” page.
Internships with this program:
- Last between 16-25 weeks
- Are available on a seasonal basis
- Provide National Park-focused GIS Training and Development
This GIS Internship program was created in 2020. It is partnership with between the National Park Service and Southern Utah University. Current students studying GIS or recent graduates can apply. This includes undergraduate, graduate, PhD students. Candidates can intern in any NPS park unit, region, or program. This program is nationwide. It provides interdisciplinary professional development experience in a unique NPS setting. Interns develop critical GIS skills needed to succeed in the federal government. They will use geospatial technology to support a variety of park management operations. This includes:
- Natural and cultural resource preservation
- Planning and environmental compliance
- Facility asset and transportation management
- Visitor and resource protection
- Resource interpretation and visitor engagement
About the Program
The NPS program aims to improve geospatial data collection and management. It also aims to help interns advance their skills and gain experience with a federal agency. NPS encourages park units to broaden their use of geospatial services. The goal is to support data-driven and science-based park management and decision-making. Interns play an important role in helping to make that happen. Program participants will engage in some of the following GIS discipline areas:
- GIS data management
- Field data collection
- Geospatial analysis
- Remote sensing
- Web mapping and cartography
NPS-specific GIS training
Interns will spend their first week in a virtual training to learn how the NPS deploys GIS. They will use ArcGIS Online & Portal, Collector, Survey123 and the Park Atlas.
Weekly Cohort meetings
Interns will meet weekly with NPS and to discuss solutions to common questions.
Capstone presentation to the NPS GIS community
Interns present their experiences and accomplishments at the end. A webinar will be held near the conclusion of their internship.
USA Jobs resume building
Interns will build successful resumes with NPS GIS staff mentorship.
Recent NPS GIS Internship Examples
- Aztec Ruins National Monument: Stabilization Treatments geodatabase development ·
- Northeastern Archeological Resources Program: Site and survey geodatabase development
- Yosemite National Park: Facilities GIS data development
- Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area: Cultural Resource data development
- White Sands National Park: Resource geodata development, collection and management
- Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument: Sign inventory, data collection, web mapping
- Lewis and Clark National Historical Park: Resource geodata development and implement standards
- Bryce Canyon National Park: GIS data development, monitor endangered species, map development
Explore Opportunities and Apply Today
Visit the SUU IIC page for more information about the internships.
Intermountain Region GIS Coordinator
In partnership with:
SUU IIC https://www.suu.edu/iic/
Last updated: June 21, 2023