Grand Portage, MN
Travel into the past to discover the present. Explore the partnership of the Grand Portage Ojibwe and the North West Company during the North American fur trade and the NPS today. Follow pathways into a distant time. Experience the sights and smells of a bustling depot reconstructed in its exact location. Hear the beat of the drum echo over Gichigami - Lake Superior.
National River & Recreation Area
Twin Cities Metropolitan Area, MN
In the middle of a bustling urban setting, this 72 mile river park offers quiet stretches for fishing, boating and canoeing. Other spots are excellent for birdwatching, bicycling and hiking. And there are plenty of visitor centers that highlight the history and science of the Mississippi River. If you are interested in the Mississippi River, this is a great place to start your exploration.
National Scenic Trail
Seven States-New York to North Dakota , MI,MN,ND,NY,OH,PA,WI
From New York to North Dakota, you're never far from a great outdoor adventure. When completed the trail will be the longest continuous hiking trail in the United States. The trail links scenic, natural, historic, and cultural areas across seven states allowing visitors to experience a variety of northern landscapes. Come and experience your America, at a walking pace.
For countless generations, American Indians have quarried the red pipestone found at this site. These grounds are sacred to many people because the pipestone quarried here is carved into pipes used for prayer. Many believe that the pipe's smoke carries one's prayer to the Great Spirit. The traditions of quarrying and pipemaking continue here today.
National Scenic Riverway
Saint Croix Falls, WI,MN
Grab your paddle and your longing for adventure and head to the St. Croix and Namekagon rivers! Together they form the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, offering over 200 miles of clean water that glides and rushes through a forested landscape. Paddle, boat, fish, and camp among this wild and scenic beauty. Hiking and historic towns also beckon, if you can bear to leave the cool water.
International Falls, Kabetogama, Ash River, and Crane Lake, MN
Voyageurs National Park lies within the heart of the North American Continent. Here you can see and touch rocks half as old as the world, experience the life of a voyageur, immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of a boreal forest, view the dark skies, or ply the interconnected water routes. Leave your car behind and set out on the water highways of the North Woods.
By The Numbers
- 5 National Parks
- 840,008 Visitors to National Parks
- $47,300,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $1,056,347,807 of Rehabilitation Projects Stimulated by Tax Incentives (since 1995) »
- $38,193,799 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- $33,706,479 in Historic Preservation Grants (since 1969) »
- 44 Certified Local Governments »
- 71 Community Conservation & Recreation Projects (since 1987) »
- 508 Acres Transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for Local Parks and Recreation (since 1948) »
- 70,693 Hours Donated by Volunteers »
- 1 Wild & Scenic Rivers Managed by NPS »
- 1 National Trails Managed by NPS »
- 1,653 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 25 National Historic Landmarks »
- 8 National Natural Landmarks »
- 570 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 547,482 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 518 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 11 Threatened & Endangered Species in National Parks »
- 2 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plans »
- 3 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Download the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2015.