|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Dana Dierkes, 559-565-3131
SEQUOIA AND KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARKS, CALIFORNIA – Are you planning to visit
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks this fall or winter? If so, here are a few trip-planning tips:
• Visitor Centers: Stop at a park visitor center for exhibits, films, books, maps, hats, postcards, etc.
All purchases support the parks! Hours and locations of visitor centers change in fall/winter.
• Ranger-led Programs: For specific information about ranger-led or naturalist-led programs, visit www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/rangerprogsched.htm. Programs may be limited in fall and winter at Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
• Crystal Cave: Crystal Cave is scheduled to be open through November 30, weather-permitting.
• Food Service/Markets: For information about fall/winter hours and seasonal closing dates for food service and markets inside of the parks, visit www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newspaper.htm.
• Fee Free Days: Consider a visit during one of our Fee Free Days (listed below), when you can enter Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks and other national parks free-of-charge.
- September 27, 2014 - National Public Lands Day
- November 11, 2014 - Veterans Day
• Fire Restrictions: Fire danger is high. Some fire restrictions are in place for public safety.
- Four out of 14 campgrounds at Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks have closed for the season: Dorst Creek, Crystal Springs, Sunset, and Moraine campgrounds.
- While the majority of park campgrounds are first-come, first-serve, reservations may be available for Potwisha Campground (year-round), Buckeye Flat Campground (through the night of September 28, 2014), and at Lodgepole Campground (September 23, 2014: Last night for reservations; From September 24 through the night of October 20, 2014: first-come, first-serve camping). For reservations, call (877) 444-6777 or visit www.recreation.gov.
- Additional campgrounds close for the season in fall. Three campgrounds (Azalea, Potwisha, South Fork) remain open in the winter. Info: www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm.
• Roads and Parking:
- Some roads and parking areas are open during the fall or winter, weather-permitting, at
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. For road conditions, visit the parks’ website at: www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/road-conditions.htm
- Stay tuned to weather conditions: www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/currentcond.htm.
- Generals Highway Reconstruction – On weekdays through October, expect road construction delays of 15 minutes-1 hour in Sequoia National Park: www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/index.htm.
• Shuttle Service:
- No shuttle service is available at Sequoia National Park through November 26, 2014.
- Holiday shuttle service will operate daily inside of Sequoia National Park from
November 27-30, 2014, and from December 26 - January 4, 2014, from 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
All shuttle buses are wheelchair-accessible. Holiday shuttle service is limited to parking areas adjacent to the General Sherman Tree, Wolverton, and Wuksachi Lodge.
– NPS –