Memorialization Ceremony


Do I Need A Permit?

Yes. Health and Safety Code Section 7116 requires that anyone scattering cremated human remains obtain the written permission on the property owner or controlling government agency. Similarly, Title 36 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 2.62(b) requires permission prior to scattering cremated human remains.

Redwood National and State Parks (RNSP) permits individuals to scatter cremated human remains where appropriate. There are numerous and multi-faceted conditions under which the scattering of human remains would not be appropriate; these include locations that are archeological sites, Native American burial sites, and locations where incompatible activities occur or may be planned in the future. These restrictions do not apply to the reburial of Native American pursuant to Section 5097.94 of the Public Resources Code of the Native American Graves Repatriation Act. The appropriateness of scattering cremated human remains with RNSP is determined by the State or National Park Superintendent.


What Areas Are Covered By This Permit?

The four parks included in the partnership that permits are issued through this office are Redwood National Park, Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, Del Norte Redwoods State Park, and Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park.


Where Are Other Locations?

For scattering of remains any other national park you will need to contact them directly at , or for other California State Parks visit


Are There Specific Times and Places That Are Excluded?

We regret at this time we are not issuing permits for memorialization anywhere within the national park boundaries of Redwood National and State Parks. Please consider applying for a memorialization permit for areas within the boundaries of these three state parks: Jedediah Smith Redwoods, Del Norte Coast Redwoods, and Prairie Creek Redwoods.

We will not be issuing special use permits for LBJ Grove, Stout Grove, Fern Canyon, or James Irvine Trail; other areas may be restricted based on use conflicts. Special Use Permits may be restricted before, during, and after public holidays.


How Much Does A Permit Cost?

The application fee is waived for a memorialization. If you wish, you may directly e-mail your completed forms to us.


What Do I Need To Fill Out?

You will need to email us these two completed forms.

1) Fillable Special Use Permit Application (word document).
2) A threatened and endangered species addendum (PDF document).

When completing the application, please be sure to complete and sign both forms. If a question does not apply to your event, please indicate "none," "does not apply," or something similar, rather than leave a blank.

You will need to indicate a location where you wish to scatter the ashes; it is helpful if you can indicate at least one or two alternative locations as well. If you are not familiar with the parks, the links above will be helpful.

Most locations in the parks can accommodate a small group, up to 5 or 6 people, with no problems. If your group is larger, we will need to take that into consideration when selecting a site.

In the “Proposed Activity” section, you must include the name of the person whose ashes are being scattered, the name of the legal custodian of the ashes, and the name of the person who will be scattering the ashes.

Please be sure to read through the common conditions for a Memorialization before submitting your application.


Are There Other Costs?

Generally, most special use permits will need only the application fee; however, sometimes there are additional cost recovery fees. If your event incurs a cost to the park, you may be asked to pay that up front, or be billed for it afterwards. For example, if an event requires monitoring, rangers are billed at $80/hour/monitor. If excessive trash is left, this is billed at the actual cost of clean-up and disposal. If natural or man-made features are damaged, the permittee is billed for the actual cost of restoration or rehabilitation.


Can I Close The Area For Privacy?

Please keep in mind all permits are issued on a non-exclusive basis; meaning other visitors to the park may not be excluded from the area of your event.


How Long Does It Take To Process A Request?

Processing of a request takes no less than 14 days; complex or large events may take longer.


What Airports Are Close By?

San Francisco (SFO) and Portland, Oregon (PDX) are the closest major airports, both are a 6-8 hour drive from the respective ends of the parks.

Medford, OR (MFR) is a 2-hour drive east of Jedediah Smith Redwoods.

Eureka/Arcata, CA (ACV) airport is 1-hour drive south of Prairie Creek Redwoods.

Redding, CA airport (RDD) is about 4-hours east of Prairie Creek Redwoods.

There is also an airport in Crescent City (CEC) that is 15-minutes from Jedediah Smith Redwoods, but flights are very limited.


If you have any questions, please feel free to call, or e-mail.

Permit Coordinator
Redwood National and State Parks
707- 465-7307


Last updated: February 13, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

1111 Second Street
Crescent City, CA 95531


707 464-6101

Contact Us