- Go to www.recreation.gov
- Go to sign in or sign up in upper right. Either log in or set up account.
- Click on Find Places and Activities at the top of screen.
- In the Search box enter Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Backcountry Camping Permit. Click Search.
- Click on Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Backcountry Camping Permit
- On the left side of the screen, under Looking For: Select Permit Type box, select backcountry camping.
- Under Campsite Type, select type of site you want group or individual.
- Under Campsite, choose the campsite you want or if you are moving from campsite to campsite leave as ANY.
- Under Start Day of Stay enter the date of the first night you want to camp.
- Under Length of Stay put in the number of nights you are camping, just the NUMBER ONLY, do not put the word “days” or “nights”. Hit search
- This will open up a two week calendar. If the day is a blue box with a black A it is available or a gray R means reserved.
- To pick the nights you want to camp, click on the A and it will turn to gold.
- When you have your days selected, click on the add to itinerary at the bottom of the page.
- When you are done, click on My Itinerary at the bottom of the web page.
- If the dates and campsite are correct, click on the Book tab.
- Complete the reservation just like an online purchase. You will need to enter personal information and credit card info.
- You now have a reservation; www.recreation.gov will confirm by email that you were successful in making a reservation.
- 14 days prior to your trip, www.recreation.gov will email you telling you to sign in and print your camping permit. The permit may be printed anytime within these 14 days. Once a permit is printed, no refunds can be given.
- Bring your permit with you to your campsite and secure permit to your tent.
How to Make a Backcountry Campsite Reservation on Recreation.gov
Last updated: March 9, 2017