Visiting the Park
Overlook Park Parking Lot Closure Announcement; Other Areas of the Park Remain Open
- Please be advised that the much anticipated landscape improvement project for the parking lot at Overlook Park, 72 McBride Avenue has begun. The parking lot and all access to Overlook Park will be closed to the public on 9/14/17. The park is expected to re-open in the summer of 2018.
- The footbridge across the Great Falls chasm, Upper Raceway Park, and Mary Ellen Kramer Park with its observation deck remains open. The Welcome Center at 65 McBride Avenue Extension, as well as park programs, are available as staffing permits.
- Please see below for details and check out the alerts for changes in park programming and/or winter weather closures.
Parking is available at the following locations.
- Welcome Center located at 65 McBride Avenue Extension
- Hinchliffe Stadium parking lot on Maple Street, approximate coordinates 40°55'03.2"N 74°10'53.3"W
- Paterson Museum, a short walk from the Welcome Center, located on 2 Market Street.
- Park visitors may use the large lot next door to 125 McBride Avenue, with approximate GPS coordinates 40°54'52.5"N 74°10'53.4"W.
- On weekends only, park visitors may use the large lot next door to 72 McBride Avenue Extension, with approximate GPS coordinates 40°54’56.80”N 74°10’43.91”W.
- Click here to see a map of these available parking places.
Though we are looking forward to a new and improved Overlook Park, we are sorry for the inconvenience.
Visitors Please Note: In cases of inclement or cold weather, a talk in the Welcome Center will replace the walking tour.
Welcome Center Hours:
- During the spring/summer season, the Welcome Center is open Monday-Sunday from 10:00AM - 4:30PM as staffing permits.
- Weekday tours are currenty provided at 2:00PM on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and as staffing permits. Please call the day of your visit to ensure availability. As spring progresses into summer, our tour schedule will expland.
- Weekend tours are provided at 11:00AM and 2:00PM on Saturdays and Sundays. Please call the day of your visit to ensure availability.
- Please check the alerts or contact the park before you visit to receive the latest updates regarding changes to programming schedule and winter weather closures. Call 973-523-0370 Monday-Friday, or call the Welcome Center at 973-523-2210 Saturday and Sunday.
- Meet at the Welcome Center at 65 McBride Avenue Extension.
- Appropriate for adults and families.
- Please wear comfortable and weather-appropriate clothing. Wear sturdy shoes/sneakers.
- In most cases, tours will be conducted rain or shine, however, tours will be canceled in cases of severe weather, such as snow storms, nor'easters, dangerous electrical storms, etc.Tour will last 45-minutes to 1-hour over a distance of one mile.
- Guided tours led by the National Park Service, or its partners, can follow paved, wheelchair-accessible routes (assistance may be required, especially along narrow city sidewalks). If you have any concerns, please contact us at 973-523-0370 during the week, or 973-523-2210 on weekends.
- The tour route travels through parts of the Great Falls Historic District, which is administered by the City of Paterson and includes the Paterson Museum. For operating hours and guided tour reservations, please call 973-321-1260 daily. The museum is closed on Federal and City holidays.
Visit the Paterson Museum
The Paterson Museum, at 2 Market Street, has the following regular hours of operation. Parking is available on-site for Museum patrons, or you can park your vehicle at the park and walk. The Museum is about 2 minutes away.