Visiting the Park
Overlook Park Closure Announcement; Other Areas of the Park Remain Open
- Please be advised that the much anticipated landscape improvement project for Overlook Park at 72 McBride Avenue will begin this week. The parking lot and all access to Overlook Park will be closed to the public on 9/14/17. The park is expected to re-open in the summer of 2018.
- The Welcome Center at 65 McBride Avenue Extension remains open as does the footbridge across the Great Falls chasm, Mary Ellen Kramer Park and Upper Raceway Park. We are still offering park programming.
- Please see below for details.
Limited parking is available at the following locations.
- 65 McBride Avenue Extension
- Hinchliffe Stadium parking lot on Maple Street, approximate coordinates 40°55'03.2"N 74°10'53.3"W
- Paterson Museum, a short walk from the Welcome Center. The Museum is located on 2 Market Street.
- On weekends only, you may use the large lot next door to 72 McBride Avenue, with approximate GPS coordinates 40°54’56.80”N 74°10’43.91”W.
- Click here to see a map of these available parking places.
Though we are looking forward to a new and improved Overlook Park, we are sorry for the inconvenience.
Welcome Center Hours:
- At this time of year, the Welcome Center is open Monday-Sunday from 10:00AM - 4:30PM as staffing permits.
- Beginning November 13th, the Welcome Center will be open Wednesday-Monday from 10:00AM - 4:30PM, and as staffing permits.
- Meet at the Welcome Center at 65 McBride Avenue Extension.
- Appropriate for adults and families.
- Please wear comfortable and weather-appropriate clothing. Wear sturdy shoes/sneakers.
- In most cases, tours will be conducted rain or shine, however, tours will be canceled in cases of severe weather, such as snow storms, nor'easters, dangerous electrical storms, etc.Tour will last 45-minutes to 1-hour over a distance of one mile.
- Guided tours led by the National Park Service, or its partners, can follow paved, wheelchair-accessible routes (assistance may be required, especially along narrow city sidewalks). If you have any concerns, please contact us at 973-523-0370 during the week, or 973-523-2210 on weekends.
- The tour route travels through parts of the Great Falls Historic District, which is administered by the City of Paterson and includes the Paterson Museum. For operating hours and guided tour reservations, please call 973-321-1260 daily. The museum is closed on Federal and City holidays.
Visit the Paterson Museum
The Paterson Museum, at 2 Market Street, has the following regular hours of operation. Parking is available on-site for Museum patrons, or you can park your vehicle at the park and walk. The Museum is about 2 minutes away.