Visiting the Park
Visitors Please Note: In cases of inclement weather such as cold, dangerous thunderstorms or extreme heat, a talk in the Welcome Center will replace the walking tour.
Welcome Center Hours:
- Starting on July 8, 2018 the Welcome Center will be open from 9:00AM - 5:00PM for the summer season as staffing permits.
- Starting on July 9, 2018 tours will be scheduled for 11:00AM and 2:00PM seven days per week for the summer season. As the summer progresses, our program offerings will expand.
- Please check the alerts or contact the park before you visit to receive the latest updates regarding changes to programming schedule and weather closures. Call 973-523-0370 Monday-Friday, or call the Welcome Center at 973-523-2210 Saturday-Sunday.
Interested in a tour of the Great Falls with your students? Visit our Education Page to learn more about our programs and set up a reservation.
Guided Tour: A Stroll Through History
Join a tour and discover the greater story behind Paterson and its Great Falls. Our story is one of national importance. It demonstrates that the natural and cultural diversity of the area helped fuel the economic and social growth of a young nation. Discover how the natural world inspired a founding father, entrepeneurs, immigrants, poets, and artists to build the nation's first planned industrial city and changed the world.
- Meet at the Welcome Center at 65 McBride Avenue Extension.
- Appropriate for adults and families.
- Please wear comfortable and weather-appropriate clothing. Wear sturdy shoes/sneakers.
- In most cases, tours will be conducted rain or shine, however, in cases of severe weather, such as snow storms, nor'easters, dangerous electrical storms, and extreme heat, tours will be canceled or changed to a talk in the Welcome Center. Walking tours will last 45-minutes to 1-hour over a distance of one mile.
- Guided tours led by the National Park Service, or its partners, can follow paved, wheelchair-accessible routes (assistance may be required, especially along narrow city sidewalks). If you have any concerns, please call the office at 973-523-0370 or the Welcome Center at 973-523-2210.
- If you are interested in making a reservation for a guided group tour, please visit our Permits and Reservations page.