Preservation Tech Notes are case studies in historic preservation. They provide practical information on traditional practices and innovative techniques for successfully maintaining and preserving cultural resources.
Explore the Tech Notes
- Exterior Woodwork
- Historic Glass
- Historic Interior Spaces
- Mechanical Systems
- Museum Collections
- Temporary Protection
- Historic Garage and Carriage Doors: Rehabilitation Solutions. Bonnie Halda, AIA. 1989.
- Proper Painting and Surface Preparation. Sharon Park, AIA. 1986.
- Paint Removal from Wood Siding. Alan O'Bright. 1986.
- Log Crown Repair and Selective Replacement Using Epoxy and Fiberglass Reinforcing Bars. Harrison Goodall. 1989.
- Protecting Woodwork Against Decay Using Borate Preservatives. Ron Sheetz and Charles Fisher. 1993.
- Process-Painting Decals as a Substitute for Hand-Stencilled Ceiling Medallions. Sharon Park, FAIA. 1990.
- Repair and Reproduction of Prismatic Glass Transoms. Chad Randl. 2002.
- Repair and Rehabilitation of Historic Sidewalk Vault Lights. Cas Stachelberg and Chad Randl. 2003.
Historic Interior Spaces
- Preserving Historic Corridors in Open Office Plans. Christina Henry. 1985.
- Preserving Historic Office Building Corridors. Thomas Keohan. 1989.
- Preserving Historic Corridor Doors and Glazing in High-Rise Buildings. Chad Randl. 2001.
- Substitute Materials: Replacing Deteriorated Serpentine Stone with Pre-Cast Concrete. Robert M. Powers. 1988.
- Stabilization and Repair of a Historic Terra Cotta Cornice. Jeffrey Levine and Donna Harris. 1991.
- Water Soak Cleaning of Limestone. Robert M. Powers. 1992.
- Non-destructive Evaluation Techniques for Masonry Construction. Marilyn E. Kaplan, Marie Ennis and Edmund P. Meade. 1997.
- Replicating Historic Elevator Enclosures. Marilyn Kaplan, AIA. 1989.
- Conserving Outdoor Bronze Sculpture. Dennis Montagna. 1989.
- Restoring Metal Roof Cornices. Richard Pieper. 1990.
- In-kind Replacement of Historic Stamped-Metal Exterior Siding. Rebecca A. Shiffer. 1991.
- Rehabilitating a Historic Iron Bridge. Joseph P. Saldibar, III. 1997.
- Rehabilitating a Historic Truss Bridge Using a Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Deck. Chad Randl. 2003.
- Repair and Reproduction of Metal Canopies and Marquees with Glass Pendants. Lauren Van Damme and Charles E. Fisher. 2006.
- Museum Collection Storage in a Historic Building Using a Prefabricated Structure. Don Cumberland, Jr. 1985.
- Reducing Visible and Ultraviolet Light Damage to Interior Wood Finishes. Ron Sheetz and Charles Fisher. 1990.
- Restoring Vine Coverage to Historic Buildings. Karen Day. 1991.
- Temporary Protection of Historic Stairways. Charles Fisher. 1985.
- Specifying Temporary Protection of Historic Interiors During Construction and Repair. Dale H. Frens. 1993.
- Protecting A Historic Structure during Adjacent Construction. Chad Randl. 2001.
- Planning Approaches to Window Preservation. Charles Fisher. 1984.
- Installing Insulating Glass in Existing Steel Windows. Charles Fisher. 1984.
- Exterior Storm Windows: Casement Design Wooden Storm Sash. Wayne Trissler and Charles Fisher. 1984.
- Replacement Wooden Frames and Sash. William Feist. 1984.
- Interior Metal Storm Windows. Laura Muckenfuss and Charles Fisher. 1984.
- Replacement Wooden Sash and Frames With Insulating Glass and Integral Muntins. Charles Parrott. 1984.
- Window Awnings. Laura Muckenfuss and Charles Fisher. 1984.
- Thermal Retrofit of Historic Wooden Sash Using Interior Piggyback Storm Panels. Sharon Park, AIA. 1984.
- Interior Storm Windows: Magnetic Seal. Charles Fisher. 1984.
- Temporary Window Vents in Unoccupied Historic Buildings. Charles Fisher and Thomas Vitanza. 1985.
- Installing Insulating Glass in Existing Wooden Sash Incorporating the Historic Glass. Charles Fisher. 1985. Please note that the technology described in this publication is no longer the industry standard. The publication is provided for informational purposes only.
- Aluminum Replacements for Steel Industrial Sash. Charles E. Fisher. 1986.
- Aluminum Replacement Windows with Sealed Insulating Glass and Trapezoidal Muntin Grids. Charles Parrott. 1985.
- Reinforcing Deteriorated Wooden Windows. Paul Stumes, P.Eng 1986.
- Interior Storms for Steel Casement Windows. Charles E. Fisher and Christina Henry. 1986.
- Repairing and Upgrading Multi-Light Wooden Mill Windows. Christopher W. Closs. 1986.
- Repair and Retrofitting Industrial Steel Windows. Robert M. Powers. 1989.
- Aluminum Replacement Windows With True Divided Lights, Interior Piggyback Storm Panels, and Exposed Historic Wooden Frames. Charles Parrott. 1991
- Repairing Steel Casement Windows. Chad Randl. 2002.
- Aluminum Replacement Windows for Steel Projecting Units with True Divided Lights and Matching Profiles. Chad Randl. 2003.
- Replacement Wood Sash Utilizing True Divided Lights and an Interior Piggyback Energy Panel. Charles E. Fisher. 2008.
- Maintenance and Repair of Historic Aluminum Windows. Kaaren R. Staveteig. 2008.
Last updated: October 24, 2022