|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Port Angeles, WA – With the enactment of the continuing resolution, staff at Olympic National Park will begin working to restore regular winter operations on Sunday, January 27. Due to storm damage that occurred prior to the lapse of appropriations, many park roads and campgrounds remain closed. Park staff will start assessing damage, clearing downed trees and storm debris from roadways and campgrounds, and reopening areas as quickly as possible.
Please visit www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/conditions.htm for updated information about the park and current conditions.
Here is what to expect over the next week:
- On Sunday, January 27, the Olympic National Park Visitor Center in Port Angeles will reopen at 9:00 am. Normal operating hours are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm daily.
- On Monday, January 28 a majority of furloughed staff will return and begin opening the remaining park functions.
- Hurricane Ridge Road winter operations are scheduled to resume Friday, February 1. Weather and road conditions permitting, Hurricane Ridge Road is open Fridays through Sundays. Call 360-565-3131 for road status updates and weather information. All vehicles, including 4-wheel drive, are required to carry tire chains. For more information on visiting Hurricane Ridge in the winter, visit https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/hurricane-ridge-in-winter.htm. The Hurricane Ridge Ski and Snowboard area is operated by the Hurricane Ridge Winter Sports Club. Visit the Hurricane Ridge Ski and Snowboard Area website at www.hurricaneridge.com for additional information.
- The park asks for patience as employees work to reopen facilities and operations in a manner that is safe for them and the public. There is a lot of storm debris, downed tree removal, and safety checks that must be completed.
- The park extends a special thank you to our local communities who provided incredible support over the last 35 days for our NPS family.
Last updated: January 26, 2019