Permits & Reservations

Certain activities within the boundary of the Natchez Trace Parkway may require a special use permit. Below is a list of critera and common activities that may require a permit or a commercial use authorization. Please read thoroughly to see if it applies to your situation. Filming within the park may also require a permit, depending the nature of, and the extent of the filming. If your filming activity involves multiple vehicles, it may be considered a large filming activity and require a more extensive application. For questions and permit applications, please contact the Ranger Activities Assistant by calling (662) 680-4014 or email us. Please note that we must recieve a completed application at least 10 buisness days prior to an event or activity.

Special Use Permits - A special park use is an activity that takes place on park land or waters that meets the following criteria:

  • Provides a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large,
  • Requires written authorization and some degree of National Park Service (NPS) management to protect park resources and public interests,
  • Is not prohibited by law,
  • Not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS,
  • Is not managed under a concession contract and,
  • Is not managed through a lease.

The following are some of the activities that may require a Special Use Permit. Please contact the Ranger Activities Assistant for questions and permit applications by calling (662) 680-4014 or email us.

  • Bicycles
  • Weddings
  • Religious Ceremonies
  • Motorcycles
  • Walk/Run
  • 1st Amendment
  • Bus (school or church)
  • Agricultural Lease Program
  • Miscellaneous

Commercial Use Authorization - The NPS, upon request, can issue commercial use authorizations (CUAs) to persons (referring to individuals, corporations, and other entities) to provide commercial services to park area visitors in limited circumstances. There are two general types of commercial services that may be authorized by a CUA:

1. In-park services. "In-park services" refers to an operation with annual gross receipts of not more than $25,000 from commercial services originating and provided within park area.
2. Out-of-park services. "Out-of-park services" refers to the incidental use of park area resources by operations that provide commercial services originating and terminating outside of the park area (or within an inholding).

Some of the activities that may require a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA)

  • Bicycle Tours
  • Wrecker/Towing
  • Commercial Tour/Charter Bus (See Below)
  • Other

For a road based commercial tour (charter bus), the company who owns the bus needs to obtain the CUA. If you are a travel company that coordinates and schedules a tour through a charter company, you do not need to obtain the CUA.

Filming & Photography Permits

Generally filming permits are required and are issued for photography, filming, and associated sound recording when they involve props, models, professional crews, and casts or set dressings.Permits are issued to ensure the protection of resources and to prevent significant disruption of normal visitor uses.Visit this link for more information.

Still photographers require a permit only when:
  1. the activity takes place at location(s) where or when members of the public are generally not allowed; or
  2. the activity uses model(s), sets(s), or prop(s) that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities; or
  3. a park would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity

The Use of Drones is Prohibited
Currently, the use of drones is prohibited in all National Parks. Detailed information about the policy is available here.

How to Apply:

All permits are issued from the Chief Ranger's Office, located in Tupelo, Mississippi. If you have questions about permits or want a permit application, please call Monday thru Friday 8 am-4:30 pm (662) 680-4014 or email us. Please note that we must recieve a completed application at least 10 buisness days prior to an event or activity. Applications can be faxed to (662) 680-4034. Applications may be mailed to:

Natchez Trace Parkway
Chief Ranger's Office - Permit Application
2680 Natchez Trace Parkway
Tupelo, MS 38804



Camping at any of the park's three campgrounds - Rocky Springs, Jeff Busby, or Meriwether Lewis is free of charge, available on a first come, first served basis, and does not require any reservations. Campgrounds are typically busiest during the spring and fall, especially during holiday weekends.

Last updated: June 21, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

2680 Natchez Trace Parkway
Tupelo, MS 38804


800 305-7417
The Parkway Visitor Center near Tupelo, MS, is open 9am-4:30pm seven days a week. The visitor center is closed Thanksgiving, December 25th and January 1st.

Contact Us