When the New Jersey troops arrived in Jockey Hollow in mid-December, there was no suitable camp site available. Instead, the troops moved a few miles south of Jockey Hollow, encamping on a hillside near Ayer's iron forge. The soldiers built their log cabins and moved into them by Christmas Day. The Jersey troops camped here from December 1779 until April, when they moved into huts in Jockey Hollow that had been vacated by the Maryland Brigade.
Today, the site of the New Jersey Brigade encampment is marked by interpretive signs. It can only be reached by a hiking trail, which can be accessed at the New Jersey Brigade parking area at the Cross Estate.