Commercial Visitor Services

Welcome to Mount Rainier's Commercial Visitor Services Information Page

Approximately 70 companies provide a wide variety of commercial visitor services in Mount Rainier National Park. These services are limited to those companies having specific authorization, usually in the form of a Concessions Contract or Commercial Use Authorization (CUA).

Federal regulations prohibit engaging in or soliciting any business in the park areas, except in accordance with the provisions of a written agreement with the United States. As in other National Park Service areas, commercial visitor services may be provided only by those holding an authorization from the United States.

The Paradise Inn in front of Mount Rainier.
The Paradise Inn, managed by the concessioner Rainier Guest Services.

NPS Photo

Mount Rainier Authorized Commercial Visitor Services

Concession Contracts

Commercial Use Authorizations
Current CUA holders
CUAs are issued for the following activities at Mount Rainier:

  • Single trip summit climbs
  • Summer overnight (backpacking)
  • Drive-in campground use
  • Guided day hikes
  • Photography and art courses
  • Winter day and overnight use
  • Bicycle Tours

CUA Applications - Please read the Application Instructions and Attachments A through G before applying for a CUA. Applications must be mailed to the park; emailed applications will not be accepted. All items listed for your activity in the Application’s Special Park Conditions and Attachments A through G, must be in your application packet to qualify for a CUA.

CUA Application - Form 10-550
CUA Annual Report - Form 10-660
CUA News Release - August 6, 2018

Date CUA applications are accepted: Mount Rainier National Park begins accepting applications annually starting September 1 for CUAs. Note the alternate years depending on the activity as follows:

On September 1, 2018, the park will begin accepting applications for:

  • 2019-2020 Summer Backpacking
  • 2019-2020 Bicycle Tours
  • 2019-2020 Day Hiking
  • 2019-2020 Drive-in Campground Use
  • 2019-2020 Winter Day and Overnight Wilderness Use
  • 2019-2020 Shuttles

On September 1, 2019, the park will begin accepting applications for:

  • 2020-2021 Single Trip Guides Summit Climb
  • 2020-2021 Photography and Art Courses

Monthly rounds: The Park limits the number of CUAs issued for each activity. Applications for CUAs will be accepted in monthly rounds. The September round will accept applications postmarked between September 1 and September 30. Any remaining CUAs that were not issued in September will be available for the October round. Those applications postmarked October 1 through October 31 will be considered in the October round. After October, it is first-come, first-served for any remaining CUAs.

A climber with a large backpack and hiking poles walking across snow towards the rocky summit of Mount Rainier.
Climbing and Mountaineering Concessioners are some of the commercial visitor services available at Mount Rainier National Park.

NPS Photo

National Park Service Commercial Visitor Services

"Through the use of concession contracts or commercial use authorizations, the National Park Service will provide commercial visitor service that are necessary and appropriate for public use and enjoyment. Concession operations will be consistent to the highest practicable degree with the preservation and conservation of resources and values of the park unit. Concession operations will demonstrate sound environmental management and stewardship." (NPS Management Policies, Chapter 10).
NPS Commercial Services


Frequently Asked Questions

Can you explain a bit more?
We understand that regulations are sometimes difficult to understand at first. If you think your activities might be "commercial", or if you have questions about how your activity will be defined, would like clarification about the need for an authorization, or think your activity might conflict with rights already granted to a park concessioner, please contact our Concessions Office at (360) 569-6505 or (360) 569-6514 or by email.

How do I apply for a Commercial Use Authorization?
CUA applications become available in August of each year. The park begins accepting application packets for CUAs in September. If you would like to request an application packet or have a question about the CUA program, please contact us at (360) 569-6514 or by email.

What about Non-Profits?
Organized groups in which participants exchange money for a service within Mount Rainier National Park are required to get a Special Use Permit in lieu of a CUA (SUPilCUA). This includes organizations that are non-profit; city, state, and collegiate recreational programs; military morale, welfare, and recreation (MWR) programs; or those that offer fundraising climbs. Please complete the CUA Application Form 10-550 at the link above for a SUPilCUA. The park will begin accepting applications for SUPilCUAs starting September 1, 2018 for the year 2019 for all activities. Applicants can apply for any of the activities listed under a CUA. SUPilCUAs will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis. SUPilCUAs are for one year and will continue to be limited under this program. Once limits have been reached, applications will be considered on a case by case basis, as determined by carrying capacity. Please contact the Commercial Services Office at 360-569-6514 or 360-569-6505 or email e-mail us for more information.

Last updated: October 12, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

55210 238th Avenue East
Ashford, WA 98304


(360) 569-2211

Contact Us