- There are no services for water, food, or fuel within the Monument boundary. Sanitary facilities are limited to a few vault toilets.
- Mobile phone and GPS coverage is spotty and unreliable. Travelers to the area should carry up to date maps of the area.
- Spring and fall can bring a range of weather conditions, please check local weather when planning your visit. As with many places in Maine, early spring snowmelt can lead to difficult road conditions. Many roads are closed during this time to reduce road damage; and travelers are advised to stay off of muddy roads.
- The roads leading to and in the Monument are unpaved -- a high-clearance vehicle is recommended for unimproved roads. Roads are not recommended for RVs or trailers.
- Roads can be narrow in some sections, please drive slow and be prepared to pull aside for oncoming traffic, including logging vehicles. Logging trucks ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY.
- Abandoned roads exist throughout the Monument. Please be attentive to your route and stay on suggested roads
Prepare for your experience:
Last updated: June 9, 2017