History & Culture

It is usually a mistake to judge past events using current day standards. To gain an appreciation of what happened back in 1889 when the Lake Conemaugh dam broke read some of the statements of witnesses under the Collections Heading. The Stories section has accounts by Pennsylvania Railroad employees. In the Places section learn about the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club and the history of the old dam that preceded the club. Members of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club are discussed in the People section.


For people doing genealogical searches, try looking through the Burial Records posted here, or Morgue Book records described here.

Last updated: February 26, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

733 Lake Road
South Fork, PA 15956


(814) 886-6170

Contact Us