Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve has six sites scattered throughout south Louisiana. The Directions & Transportation page has links to maps of all six sites and links to information about what each site offers.
All sites are accessible by car.
Airports serve New Orleans (airport information for Louis Armstrong International Airport, including ground transportation information) and Lafayette (airport information for Lafayette Regional Airport).
Public transportation is available in Lafayette, but it does not go to the Acadian Cultural Center.
Public transportation in New Orleans runs throughout the city, but note that although the Barataria Preserve and Chalmette Battlefield/Chalmette National Cemetery are in the greater New Orleans area,
- No public bus transportation is available from New Orleans to the Barataria Preserve or Chalmette Battlefield/Chalmette National Cemetery.
- A one-way taxi fare from downtown New Orleans to either the Barataria Preserve or to Chalmette Battlefield/Chalmette National Cemetery costs about the equivalent of a one-day car rental.
- Ride share services are available TO the Barataria Preserve. Returning FROM there can be difficult via ride share services, so be sure to confirm your RETURN ride and get your ride share driver's number.
- Ride share services are available TO Chalmette Battlefield/Chalmette National Cemetery. Returning FROM those locations can be difficult via ride share services, so be sure to confirm your RETURN ride and get your ride share driver's number. Note that the address for the battlefield/national cemetery is the cemetery; if you want to be dropped at the battlefield visitor center (about half a mile from the cemetery), be sure that your driver understands your destination.
- The paddlewheeler Creole Queen offers cruises to Chalmette Battlefield from New Orleans' French Quarter.